Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by bruce <be...@earthlink.net> on 2006/09/25 14:39:37 UTC

subversion web client app

hi...

i'm looking for a web app to allow me to manage/track changes to a svn
repository on a file/folder/user basis...

users will log in, and be granted access rights to certain functions, for
certain files/folders... users will be able to create new files, update
existing files, move/copy files/folders to new folders, etc...

users will also be able to track the ongoing status of the various
users/files/folders...

my thought is that this kind of app will have to access a user
access/rights/roles kind of app (.htaccess/ldap/etc..) as well as the actual
svn repository. i can't be the only one with this kind of need.

this is a small part of a larger project that's going to be used to create a
distributed application, that runs on 1000s of underlying smaller apps. we
essentially need a way of tracking/managing these smaller apps as they
change from semester to semester...

checking out google didn't turn up anything exciting, although i may have
missed something. is there anything out here (Open Source) remotely close to
what i've described...

thoughts/comments/etc... will be useful.

thanks

Re: subversion web client app

Posted by Samay <ge...@hotmail.com>.
> i'm looking for a web app to allow me to manage/track changes to a svn
> repository on a file/folder/user basis...
>
> users will log in, and be granted access rights to certain functions, for
> certain files/folders... users will be able to create new files, update
> existing files, move/copy files/folders to new folders, etc...
>
> users will also be able to track the ongoing status of the various
> users/files/folders...
>
> my thought is that this kind of app will have to access a user
> access/rights/roles kind of app (.htaccess/ldap/etc..) as well as the
> actual
> svn repository. i can't be the only one with this kind of need.
>
> this is a small part of a larger project that's going to be used to create
> distributed application, that runs on 1000s of underlying smaller apps. we
> essentially need a way of tracking/managing these smaller apps as they
> change from semester to semester...
>
> checking out google didn't turn up anything exciting, although i may have
> missed something. is there anything out here (Open Source) remotely close
> what i've described...
>
> thoughts/comments/etc... will be useful.
>
> thanks

u may look at extending
http://www.akbkhome.com/blog.php/View/90/FlexySvn.html ... its XUL based

Re: subversion web client app

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.
So we want something that does what ViewVC and trac do, as well as
being a web based full featured svn client, AND is able to access and
modify the authen/authz configs for the repositories and this mythical
web app itself through said webapp?
Sounds like a tall order.  Sounds killer.

On 9/25/06, Ruslan Sivak <rs...@istandfor.com> wrote:
> Trac doesn't actually let you make changes to a svn repo AFAIK.  Only
> view the revisions.  It is an awesome tool and you should check it out,
> but I don't think it works for this problem.
>
> Russ
>
> Ivan Aleman wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > You may want to give a try to trac [http://trac.edgewall.org/], you
> > can do all the things you are describing and more check also
> > http://trac-hacks.org
> >
> > Bye for now.

Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy."

RE: subversion web client app

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
russ...

track is more of a project management/repos.. it's not quite what we're
looking for... if we were doing traditional app building, issue tracking
then it makes sense...

Posted by Ruslan Sivak <rs...@istandfor.com>.

Posted by Ivan Aleman <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Iván Alemán ~ [[ Debian (Sid) ]] ~
bonovoxmofo.blogspot.com

RE: subversion web client app

Posted by bruce <be...@earthlink.net>.
hi ruslan...

i've seen that kind of approach.. however, i'd also like the app to be able
to handle the ability to access/manage the underlying user access file. to
be honest, i'm not sure how you go about creating/modifying files, and using
the apache/httpd webdav function without having to modify the httpd.conf
file, and restarting apache... but i haven't spent a great deal of time
investigating this issue....

thanks

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you need, but you might want to set
up webdav, and set up proper permissions for users through authz in
svn.  You can get something like webfolders to connect to webdav from
windows.

Russ

Posted by Ruslan Sivak <rs...@istandfor.com>.