Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Thanos Chatziathanassiou <tc...@arx.gr> on 2006/07/31 13:34:22 UTC

Re: apache-1.3.36 perl-5.6.1 Apache::ASP-2.59 problem (solved ?)

Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
> (Hate to reply to my own mail, but...)
(Still replying to own mail)

> for reasons I cannot figure out yet, this part of Load.pm doesn't
> quite work as expected:
> ---snip---
> opendir(DIR, $file) || die("can't open $file for reading: $!");
> my @files = readdir(DIR);
> close DIR;
> ---snip---
>
> @files contains as many elements as files in $file (which in this
> context is actually a directory), but instead of filenames, they
> contain the empty string. Which of course leads to the deep
> recursion/out of memory error, given a directory with enough files.
Indeed that was the culprit and using glob instead of readdir provided a
workable solution.
However, apache 1.3.37 was released in between and I decided to build
this one instead. With the same perl version (5.6.1), same mod_perl
(1.29) readdir worked as expected.
BTW, all apache versions were compiled from sources using the same
script (with changed paths) with gcc-2.95.3 against glibc-2.2.5.

Still can't figure out what was wrong with 1.3.36 compared to 1.3.34 &
1.3.37 though.
There's nothing even remotely related in the Changelog and I haven't
mustered the courage to do a diff between them yet... Still, I think we
can leave it be for now.