Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Sasha Dolgy <sd...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/22 09:21:24 UTC

SSL & Streaming

Hi,

Is there documentation available anywhere that describes how one can
use org.apache.cassandra.security.streaming.* ?   After the EC2 posts
yesterday, one question I was asked was about the security of data
being shifted between nodes.  Is it done in clear text, or
encrypted..?  I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's encrypted,
but see in the source that security.streaming does leverage SSL ...

Thanks in advance for some pointers to documentation.

Also, for anyone who is using SSL .. how much of a performance impact
have you noticed?  Is it minimal or significant?

--
Sasha Dolgy
sasha.dolgy@gmail.com

Re: Cassandra Statistics and Metrics

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
We are thinking a Web 2.0 application, so Munin was not built with these
thougths in mind.
I will be reviewing the datadoghq site.
Regards

Posted by Dan Kuebrich <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Héctor Izquierdo Seliva <iz...@strands.com>.
This is what I use:

http://code.google.com/p/simple-cassandra-monitoring/

Disclaimer: I did it myself, don't expect too much :P

Posted by Viktor Jevdokimov <vj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Viktor Jevdokimov <vj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.

Posted by Viktor Jevdokimov <vj...@gmail.com>.

Re: SSL & Streaming

Posted by Sasha Dolgy <sd...@gmail.com>.
AJ was responding to an email I sent in March....although i do appreciate
the quick reaponse from the community ;) i moved on to our implementation of
vpn...
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-0.8.0/conf/cassandra.yaml#L362help
?

> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 13 Jun 2011, at 23:26, AJ wrote:
>
>> Performance-wise, I think it would be better to just let the client
encrypt sensitive data before storing it, versus encrypting all traffic all
the time. If individual values are encrypted, then they don't have to be
encrypted/decrypted during transit between nodes during the initial updates
as well as during the commissioning of a new node or other times.

>> A drawback, however, is now you have to manage one or more keys for the
lifetime of the data. It will also complicate your data view interfaces.
However, if Cassandra had data encryption built-in somehow, that would solve
this problem... just thinking out loud.

Re: SSL & Streaming

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Re: SSL & Streaming