Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2008/03/11 17:32:59 UTC

[ApacheDS] Apache DS Deb installer - Testers needed

Hi everyone,

Here's another installer to be tested, a Deb package (for Debian based Linux
distributions).

I tested it on my machine with Ubuntu 7.10 and Java 1.5.0_13.

For those who are interested in, the installer is located here:
    http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/apacheds-debian-1.5<http://tr_1205232733253>
.2-SNAPSHOT.deb<http://people.apache.org/%7Epamarcelot/apacheds-debian-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.deb>

This installer will install the following things on your system:

   - ApacheDS data is installed in "/opt/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT"
   - ApacheDS instances are installed in "/var/lib/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT
   "
   - An init script will be installed in "/etc/init.d/apacheds-
   1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-default"

To start the server, run the following command:
$ /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-default start

To stop the server, run the following command:
$ /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-default stop

Note: As with the previous binary installer, the server is run using user
"root", I still need to figure out why this can't work when using an
"apacheds" user.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [ApacheDS] Apache DS Deb installer - Testers needed

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Some info ...

AMD 64 based machine
Ubuntu 7.10
SUN JVM 6 installed using Ubuntu Packages

Hmmm looks like it's not starting up when I start the init script as root.
Can't seem to find the log file anywhere under /var/log.  Is there another
place I should be looking?

I ran the init script again with the console command instead of start to see
the output and it appears it cannot find the JVM. Can it find the standard
Ubuntu installed SUN jvm paths without a user adding this info into the
wrapper configuration?

Thanks,
Alex

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hey Pierre,

Posted by Alex Soto <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

How do I uninstall apacheds for Mac OSX?
I recently tested the installer for Mac OSX and now I need to uninstall.

Thanks,
Alex Soto
lexsoto@gmail.com

-
Amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Ossi,

Thanks for trying out the installer and giving some feedback.

a few comments / questions:
>  - the log file ends up in /opt/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/bin/wrapper.log
>    is there another log file somewhere else?

You'll find more logs in each instance, in the "log" directory
(/var/lib/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/default/log for the default instance).
At the moment they are located here but they may be moving the "/var/log"
directory in a next version of the installer. We'll have to decide what's
the best place for them.

  - is there some test-suite to verify its more than running but also
>    working?

You can to test a connection to the server using Apache Directory Studio (
http://directory.apache.org/studio/).
Create a new connection with the following parameters:

   - Host: localhost
   - Port: 10389
   - Authentication Method: Simple Authentication
   - User: uid=admin,ou=system
   - Password: secret

> - is the fact the root user is used related to the port? ports below
>    1000 need root permissions. but i remember there are some tomcat
>    faq on running tomcat on port 80 without the root user.

We still need to figure out why we can't launch the server using an apacheds
user (maybe the problems you had with JAVA_HOME and PATH variables).
Should be fixed for the next version of the installer.

Thanks,

Posted by ossi petz <os...@gmail.com>.
Hallo