Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Daniel Cane <da...@modernizingmedicine.com> on 2011/04/07 21:22:25 UTC

Write only dropbox

Team,

Any suggestions on how I can implement a write only dropbox? I have my
custom user manager setup and working, and I saw a authorities.add(new
WritePermission()), but nothing about a read permission. My goal is to have
the ability for people to anonymously (or logged in) upload files to a
“dropbox” but not be able to see what’s in the dropbox. I then have an
Ftplet which processes the files. So the question is how can I make the
system write only?

Thanks!

Dan

Re: Write only dropbox

Posted by Toli Kuznets <tk...@marinsoftware.com>.
Daniel,

You may also want to consider how to handle collisions - what if
someone is uploading fileA.txt which already exists?

If you reject it, then you are (possibly) exposing information that
you didn't want before, that such a file already exists...
If you just overwrite it, then again, you potentially let one person
insert "fake data" on top of a "real data file"..

This only matters, of course, if you are trying to protect "customer"
data and you don't have "adversaries" in your system.

alternatively, you could just append a rev number, similar to how
MacOSX handles multiple downloads of the same file from a browser into
a Downloads folder.

hope this helps.

Re: Write only dropbox

Posted by Sai Pullabhotla <sa...@jmethods.com>.