Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com> on 2005/06/21 06:41:04 UTC

SA 3.04 and RHEL4, Net::DNS isn't working

On a brand new RHEL4 installation, I've having problems with Net::DNS:

debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
debug: Net::DNS version: 0.51
debug: trying (3) apache.org...
debug: looking up NS for 'apache.org'
debug: NS lookup of apache.org failed horribly => Perhaps your
resolv.conf isn't pointing at a valid server?
debug: All NS queries failed => DNS unavailable (set dns_available to
override)
debug: is DNS available? 0

Dig is able to find apache.org.  I've seen some posts on downgrading
Net::DNS, but I can't find explicit instructions on how to do it.

I installed it via CPAN inside perl.

--

    Steve

Re: SA 3.04 and RHEL4, Net::DNS isn't working

Posted by Jorge Valdes <jv...@intercom.com.sv>.
Steven Stern wrote:

> On a brand new RHEL4 installation, I've having problems with Net::DNS:
>
> debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
> debug: Net::DNS version: 0.51
> debug: trying (3) apache.org...
> debug: looking up NS for 'apache.org'
> debug: NS lookup of apache.org failed horribly => Perhaps your
> resolv.conf isn't pointing at a valid server?
> debug: All NS queries failed => DNS unavailable (set dns_available to
> override)
> debug: is DNS available? 0
>

> Dig is able to find apache.org.  I've seen some posts on downgrading
> Net::DNS, but I can't find explicit instructions on how to do it.
>
> I installed it via CPAN inside perl.

Steven,

I use a local DNS cache on my machine, and this for some reason is
confusing the tests. When I configure the server to use "real" DNS
servers, that test "passes" without problems, so I thought it's just a
problem on how the test was designed. I "force" installed the upgrade
and added the following in my "local.cf":

#
## Force DNS
##
dns_available yes

Bingo... that did the trick, and now DNS checks are enabled and have not
had problems with my setup.  I even changed the configuracion back to
use my local DNS cache and still have not seen problems...

Hope it helps.

--
Jorge Valdes
Intercom El Salvador