Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Slava Zimine <sl...@japgod.mine.nu> on 2002/04/10 10:20:33 UTC

turbine-2 quick questions

Hi, people

a few quick questions

1. Is there a document  which outlines changes  between  turbine 2.1  &
2.2 ?
    Any changes in the APIs ?

	An example of the project which makes nice docs with changes between
releases is the   jdee  (java development environment for emacs)
http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

2.  in tdk2.2b1  newapp   in WEB-INF/conf I see the same properties
defined in
    Fulcrum.properties and in Turbine.properties  e.g. velocity service
and at the end of  Turbine.properties
component.fulcrum.config = ${webappRoot}/WEB-INF/conf/Fulcrum.properties

Do i presume correctly that  the properties defined in
Fulcrum.properties  for services override those  defined in
Turbine.properties ?

3. could README.txt in the cvs modules of turbine-2, turbine-torque,
turbine-fulcrum  be updated  with  real instructions/hints on how to
compile those modules ?

I've been able to compile jakarta-turbine-2   only after quite digging
through mailing list. lots of time spent.

4. examples of  the turbine-2.1,  turbine-2.2 relatively simple webapps
    with a source code available. Could you give some pointers to them  or better
organize them in a "examples" section of the turbine website.   Any
newcomer to turbine  will certainly appreciate.
  Scarab  is surely an impressive  webapp,  but it uses
  turbine-3 for which the documentation is scarce.

regards,

slava

Re: turbine-2 quick questions

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 02:20  AM, Slava Zimine wrote:

> 1. Is there a document  which outlines changes  between  turbine 2.1  &
> 2.2 ?
>     Any changes in the APIs ?

Some items may be deprecated.  See this doc for more details.
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/deprecation.html

> 2.  in tdk2.2b1  newapp   in WEB-INF/conf I see the same properties
> defined in
>     Fulcrum.properties and in Turbine.properties  e.g. velocity service
> and at the end of  Turbine.properties
> component.fulcrum.config = ${webappRoot}/WEB-INF/conf/Fulcrum.properties
>

> Do i presume correctly that  the properties defined in
> Fulcrum.properties  for services override those  defined in
> Turbine.properties ?

Nope.  This message includes more details:
http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-
user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg07450.html

> 3. could README.txt in the cvs modules of turbine-2, turbine-torque,
> turbine-fulcrum  be updated  with  real instructions/hints on how to
> compile those modules ?
>
> I've been able to compile jakarta-turbine-2   only after quite digging
> through mailing list. lots of time spent.

This process is in a state of flux at the moment.  Several turbine
developers are pushing hard to get Maven released and in the process
will be replacing all the Turbine builds with Maven.  More details here
(and Maven is the most thoroughly documented project in Turbine land --
thanks to Pete):
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/

> 4. examples of  the turbine-2.1,  turbine-2.2 relatively simple webapps
>     with a source code available. Could you give some pointers to them
> or better
> organize them in a "examples" section of the turbine website.   Any
> newcomer to turbine  will certainly appreciate.
>   Scarab  is surely an impressive  webapp,  but it uses
>   turbine-3 for which the documentation is scarce.

Since you didn't mention it in your email I'm guessing you have not
looked at the TDK.  It is intended to be exactly the thing I think you
are asking for -- to help new users get up and running with Turbine as
quickly as possible.  It includes a simple web application that
illustrates some of the fundamentals of Turbine apps.
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-turbine/release/2.1/

Hope that helps.
-Eric