Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/23 12:32:59 UTC

Cad Editor splitting

Hello,

I would likte to move the CAS viewing and editing part out of the
Cas Editor into a new plugin to make this part reusable in external
applications which want to view and edit a CAS. To make
this possible an API for opening CAS based eclipse editors
will be defined.

The viewing and editing part can then also be used directly
from eclipse. To achieve this I suggest that we build a uima
development tools plugin which uses the new API
for opening a CAS based editor. The UDT plugin can be extended
to contain other functionality like launch support for AEs, log viewers,
etc.

The UDT plugin could use code from the CAS Viewer. Depending
on how we continue with the CAS Viewer the viewing part will be put
into a new plugin (Level-1 sharing) or merged with the CAS Editor
(Level-2 sharing).

Jörn

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
> Should we start at the high-level a little bit by discussing about
> the flow
> ? For example, assuming that the input is an xmiCAS or CAS, what is
> the flow
> of the tool up to the point that users see something in Eclipse.

An editor is opened by eclipse with a FileEditorInput this input only
points to a cas file,
which could be in xmi or xcas.
The FileEditorInput is passed to the editors CasDocumentProvider which
is responsible
to provide a IDocument, in our case a CasDocument which contains the
created CAS object.

The problem now is that the CasDocumentProvider needs to retrieve the
correct type system
and styling for the cas file.

This could be done with a lookup service the input would be the path
to the cas
file and the output the type system and style information. The lookup
service can be extended by
a plugin to provide an actual strategy how to retrieve the type system
and styling.
Maybe the lookup service also specifies which sofa should be opened in
the editor.

For the eclipse plugin this would be just a special named file for the
type system and styling
would be extracted from preferences. For the Cas Editor the project
type system and styling
is returned.

Jörn

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
 Jörn,
The plan looks good to me. I am happy to work with you for this integration.

Should we start at the high-level a little bit by discussing about the flow
? For example, assuming that the input is an xmiCAS or CAS, what is the flow
of the tool up to the point that users see something in Eclipse.

-- Tong

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>
>> This does sound like a good direction. In order to use the CAS viewer it
>>> should be accepted into the sandbox. Any objection to resubmitting the
>>> vote?
>>>

>> There is still no plan how to merge it with the Cas Editor, expect for a
>> small
>> part which handles how to open the Cas Viewer eclipse editor.
>>
>> We should decide this first, then we can resubmit the vote.
>>
>> In my opinion the only way to truly merge it with the Cas Editor is
>>  "Level-2" sharing.
>> If we do not want this we have many things duplicated and two tools which
>> show a Cas in a slightly different way.
>>
>> Are there other options that we missed ? Other than Level-1 sharing
>> which can only share ui widgets.
>>
>> Future work like Cas journaling ui has then also to be done
>> twice if the plan is to build it directly into the Cas Viewer.
>>
>> Jörn
>>

> First let me echo what others have said: it would be very
> good if we had a consistent Eclipse tooling strategy, not
> one with several competing tools.  It would be my hope that
> Joern and Tong can cooperate on that tooling strategy.
>
> Here's what I would suggest, as someone who will probably
> not write a single line of code for this effort.  We should
> decide on one tool as the basis for viewing and editing
> CASes.  As we have already released the CAS Editor, it should
> be that one tool.  We should vote the CasViewer into the
> sandbox with the express understanding that it will never
> see a release, but ideas and code from the CasViewer will
> be used to improve and enhance the CAS Editor.  The CAS
> Editor will evolve into a tool that can be used either
> stand-alone (as it is now), or integrated into the rest
> of the UIMA tooling.

Thilo,
I think we are moving into this direction to have one integrated tool.

> That's my suggestion after having watched this thread for
> a while.  Obviously, it will only work if both Joern and
> Tong can get behind this plan.
>
> Tong, I understand that you have put a lot of effort into
> the CAS Viewer, and I would fully understand if you didn't
> agree to this suggestion.  Still, I believe that for UIMA
> as a whole, it would be the best solution.

Well, you are right that I am not completely agree on the approach. But, if
we think as the "community",  I will accept and support the majority
opinions for the best interest of UIMA community as you suggested.

-- Tong

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>> This does sound like a good direction. In order to use the CAS viewer it
>> should be accepted into the sandbox. Any objection to resubmitting the
>> vote?
>
> There is still no plan how to merge it with the Cas Editor, expect for a
> small
> part which handles how to open the Cas Viewer eclipse editor.
>
> We should decide this first, then we can resubmit the vote.
>
> In my opinion the only way to truly merge it with the Cas Editor is
> "Level-2" sharing.
> If we do not want this we have many things duplicated and two tools which
> show a Cas in a slightly different way.
>
> Are there other options that we missed ? Other than Level-1 sharing
> which can only share ui widgets.
>
> Future work like Cas journaling ui has then also to be done
> twice if the plan is to build it directly into the Cas Viewer.
>
> Jörn

First let me echo what others have said: it would be very
good if we had a consistent Eclipse tooling strategy, not
one with several competing tools.  It would be my hope that
Joern and Tong can cooperate on that tooling strategy.

Here's what I would suggest, as someone who will probably
not write a single line of code for this effort.  We should
decide on one tool as the basis for viewing and editing
CASes.  As we have already released the CAS Editor, it should
be that one tool.  We should vote the CasViewer into the
sandbox with the express understanding that it will never
see a release, but ideas and code from the CasViewer will
be used to improve and enhance the CAS Editor.  The CAS
Editor will evolve into a tool that can be used either
stand-alone (as it is now), or integrated into the rest
of the UIMA tooling.

That's my suggestion after having watched this thread for
a while.  Obviously, it will only work if both Joern and
Tong can get behind this plan.

Tong, I understand that you have put a lot of effort into
the CAS Viewer, and I would fully understand if you didn't
agree to this suggestion.  Still, I believe that for UIMA
as a whole, it would be the best solution.

--Thilo

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This does sound like a good direction. In order to use the CAS viewer it
> should be accepted into the sandbox. Any objection to resubmitting the vote?
>
> Eddie

Ok with me.
  -Adam

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Eddie Epstein wrote:
> This does sound like a good direction. In order to use the CAS viewer it
> should be accepted into the sandbox. Any objection to resubmitting the vote?

+1 -Marshall

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cad Editor splitting

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would likte to move the CAS viewing and editing part out of the
> Cas Editor into a new plugin to make this part reusable in external
> applications which want to view and edit a CAS. To make
> this possible an API for opening CAS based eclipse editors
> will be defined.
>
> The viewing and editing part can then also be used directly
> from eclipse. To achieve this I suggest that we build a uima
> development tools plugin which uses the new API
> for opening a CAS based editor. The UDT plugin can be extended
> to contain other functionality like launch support for AEs, log viewers,
> etc.
>
> The UDT plugin could use code from the CAS Viewer. Depending
> on how we continue with the CAS Viewer the viewing part will be put
> into a new plugin (Level-1 sharing) or merged with the CAS Editor (Level-2
> sharing).
>
> Jörn

Sounds right to me.
  -Adam