Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/03 19:46:35 UTC

embedding Pluto w/o web (servlet) container?

Hi,

I'm just getting up to speed with Pluto's portlet container, and I
couldn't find a good forum in which I can find answers for my
questions, so here it is.  If you could point me to an existing thread
or a web page that contains Q&A's similar to my questions, I would
greatly appreciate it.

It seems that Pluto leans heavily on leveraging on a servlet
container.  Is that a requirement?  Is it possible/straightforward to
write a driver that does not use a servlet container?  Does the way
Pluto is architected preclude such a design?  I understand that the
JSR-168 hints at and encourages reuse of the servlet container, but
there are valid reasons in our case to not use a servlet container but
be able to reuse the portlet container.  I would suppose the OM
implementation would become bit more challenging than otherwise...
Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sangjin

Re: embedding Pluto w/o web (servlet) container?

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.
We may want to aggregate content in an offline fashion (based on command
line and such), so that was the idea.

Is the dependency on the servlet container actually in the portlet container
implementation itself, or is just that the driver implementation will be
very straightforward and easy in a servlet container environment?  In other
words, is it possible to come up with a driver that uses the Pluto container
without using a real servlet container (but it will still use the servlet
interfaces)?  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Posted by avin98 <av...@yahoo.com>.
Pluto is built on top of the servelt container and makes extensive use of the
servlet apis and also its runtime model. I'm pretty sure that you cannot
isolate the 2.

Why would you have a requirement like this  ??
Sent from the Pluto - Dev forum at Nabble.com.