Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Houston Putman <ho...@apache.org> on 2021/04/27 21:00:16 UTC

[VOTE] Solr Operator Logo

Hello Solr users & devs,

The Solr Operator is the first subproject under Apache Solr and thus needs
a distinguishing logo.

We have multiple options to choose from for both the Solr Operator logo and
icon. These designs have been based off of the Solr and Kubernetes logos:

   - https://solr.apache.org/logos-and-assets.html
   - https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/master/logo

The winning Logo and Icon will be finalized with dark & light options, in
SVG format after they are selected. So please don't factor in blurry lines
into your vote.

*Please read the following rules carefully* before submitting your vote.

*Who can vote?*

Anyone is welcome to cast a vote in support of their favorite
submission(s). Note that only Solr PMC member's votes are binding. If you
are a Solr PMC member, please indicate with your vote that the vote is
binding, to ease collection of votes. In tallying the votes, I will attempt
to verify only those marked as binding.

*How do I vote?*
Votes can be cast simply by replying to this email. It is a ranked-choice
vote [rank-choice-voting]. Multiple selections may be made, where the order
of preference must be specified. If an entry gets more than half the votes,
it is the winner. Otherwise, the entry with the lowest number of votes is
removed, and the votes are retallied, taking into account the next
preferred entry for those whose first entry was removed. This process
repeats until there is a winner.

The entries are broken up by type, then entry. The entry identifiers are
first either "L" for logo or "I" for icon, followed by an id for that
entry. You can vote for multiple entries, with your highest preference
sorted first.

Please vote for the logo and icon separately.

(binding)
logo vote: L-1, L-3, L-4
icon vote: I-3, I-2

*Entries*

All entries are submitted by Mona Chang.

The entries are as follows:

Logos:

[L-1]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154447-49f14100-a6ae-11eb-9d05-b4fa7aeb94e6.png
[L-2]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116311387-d19f8400-a770-11eb-96da-65891a6df5aa.png
L-2 is merely an alternative color for L-1.
[L-3]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116153995-bf104680-a6ad-11eb-8fee-c29d4612a86c.png
[L-4]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154426-452c8d00-a6ae-11eb-8dc2-080d7b5e04af.png

Icons:

All icons are similar, with different colors and gradients used.

[I-1]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/114226789-ad9f0e80-9939-11eb-97d6-945bf79b8ce7.png
[I-2]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154026-c899ae80-a6ad-11eb-8e47-900adfde9654.png
[I-3]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116311474-e9770800-a770-11eb-9402-74e6c1263290.png
[I-4]
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154021-c6cfeb00-a6ad-11eb-83c6-384d66500f49.png

Please vote for one logo and one icon from the above choices. This vote
will close about one week from today, Tue, May 4, 2021 at 11:59PM.

- Houston Putman

This vote is based off of the Lucene logo contest, run by Ryan Ernst.

Re: [VOTE] Solr Operator Logo

Posted by Houston Putman <ho...@apache.org>.
Thank you everyone for voting.

As David pointed out, and Christine relayed privately, there are some
concerns about the usage of the Kubernetes trademark in the logo, and
violations of some of their trademark rules.

We will discuss this internally, and I will update this thread once
decisions have been made.

Consider the VOTE paused for now.

- Houston

Re: [VOTE] Solr Operator Logo

Posted by Houston Putman <ho...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Solr Operator Logo

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
(binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr Operator Logo

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
(binding)
Logo vote: L-1, L4
Icon vote: I-4

> [...]
>
> The entries are broken up by type, then entry. The entry identifiers are first either "L" for logo or "I" for icon, followed by an id for that entry. You can vote for multiple entries, with your highest preference sorted first.
>
> Please vote for the logo and icon separately.
>
> (binding)
> logo vote: L-1, L-3, L-4
> icon vote: I-3, I-2
>
> Entries
>
> All entries are submitted by Mona Chang.
>
> The entries are as follows:
>
> Logos:
>
> [L-1] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154447-49f14100-a6ae-11eb-9d05-b4fa7aeb94e6.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154447-49f14100-a6ae-11eb-9d05-b4fa7aeb94e6.png>
> [L-2] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116311387-d19f8400-a770-11eb-96da-65891a6df5aa.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116311387-d19f8400-a770-11eb-96da-65891a6df5aa.png>
> L-2 is merely an alternative color for L-1.
> [L-3] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116153995-bf104680-a6ad-11eb-8fee-c29d4612a86c.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116153995-bf104680-a6ad-11eb-8fee-c29d4612a86c.png>
> [L-4] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154426-452c8d00-a6ae-11eb-8dc2-080d7b5e04af.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154426-452c8d00-a6ae-11eb-8dc2-080d7b5e04af.png>
>
> Icons:
>
> All icons are similar, with different colors and gradients used.
>
> [I-1] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/114226789-ad9f0e80-9939-11eb-97d6-945bf79b8ce7.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/114226789-ad9f0e80-9939-11eb-97d6-945bf79b8ce7.png>
> [I-2] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154026-c899ae80-a6ad-11eb-8e47-900adfde9654.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154026-c899ae80-a6ad-11eb-8e47-900adfde9654.png>
> [I-3] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116311474-e9770800-a770-11eb-9402-74e6c1263290.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116311474-e9770800-a770-11eb-9402-74e6c1263290.png>
> [I-4] https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154021-c6cfeb00-a6ad-11eb-83c6-384d66500f49.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/64094885/116154021-c6cfeb00-a6ad-11eb-83c6-384d66500f49.png>
>
> Please vote for one logo and one icon from the above choices. This vote will close about one week from today, Tue, May 4, 2021 at 11:59PM.
>
> - Houston Putman
>
> This vote is based off of the Lucene logo contest, run by Ryan Ernst.

_______________________
Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: [VOTE] Solr Operator Logo

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
(binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr Operator Logo