Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Peterson, Matt (INV-EDH)" <Ma...@DSTInnovis.com> on 2003/07/24 15:38:17 UTC

Property question

When you set a propery on a file, does it stay with that file even outside
of subversion control?  I was curious because I saw in a example used in
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book.pdf they were setting a copyright property.
Why would you want to do that?  If you give the file to a customer, the
customer's file would not retain the meta-data would it?

 -Matt.

Notice: This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the individual
or company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure or unauthorized use
under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail,
you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or copying of this
e-mail or the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited by
the sender.  If you have received this transmission in error, please return
the material received to the sender and delete all copies from your system.
Thank you.

Re: Property question

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net> writes:

> Using "copyright" (and "license," for that matter) may have been a
> confusing choice.  Looks like the author was merely looking for some
> string that would be generally familiar to everyone, and yet allow
> him/her to provide both short and long values.

That's pretty much that case, Jack. :-)

Re: Property question

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 8:38 AM -0700 7/24/03, Peterson, Matt (INV-EDH) wrote:
>When you set a propery on a file, does it stay with that file even outside
>of subversion control?  I was curious because I saw in a example used in
>http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book.pdf they were setting a copyright property.
>Why would you want to do that?  If you give the file to a customer, the
>customer's file would not retain the meta-data would it?

You're quite right, properties remain within Subversion.

--
-==-
Jack Repenning

Re: Property question

Posted by Ben Gollmer <be...@jatosoft.com>.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:38:17 -0500, Peterson, Matt (INV-EDH)
<Ma...@DSTInnovis.com> wrote:
> When you set a propery on a file, does it stay with that file even outside
> of subversion control?  I was curious because I saw in a example used in
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book.pdf they were setting a copyright property.
> Why would you want to do that?  If you give the file to a customer, the
> customer's file would not retain the meta-data would it?

No, but custom properties are very useful within Subversion. For example, if you
were using a CMS that had SVN hooks, the copyright property could determine
whether a file was published to a publicly accessible area of your web site, or
to an area only employees could access.

BTW, this should probably be on the users list.

--
Ben