Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/30 09:54:57 UTC

[buildtest] Are there obsolete fields in the test's description? (Was: Re: [bti][p-unit] finally, it is ready)

Hi Alexei,

Thanks for your comments - so your idea that "date-of-creation" and
"authors" fields in the test's description became obsolete.

See my comment below

On 10/29/07, Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Stepan,
> I'm gratefull for your interest to this patch.
>
> >  why did you remove logging for "date-of-creation" and
> > "authors" field?
>
> I believe these fields are now excessive. A date of creation may be
> got from svn as well as an author. I was not a supporter or author
> removal idea because svn lists only committers, but this was accepted
> anyway, and now we should to follow.

- date of creation != date of first check in
- list of authors != list of committers

So I'd call these fields (as well the corresponding options) -
developer's fields.

> I agree that obsolete warnings may be removed by decreasing logging
> level, but this is not a correct way to follow to my personal point of
> view.

What made them "obsolete"?

> > Is is necessary for p-unit integration? I guess no -
> > you can change logging level (or fix tests description files) to avoid
> > unwanted logging.
>
> And you are correct. It is not necessary for p-unit integration. The
> goal is not p-unit integration at all.
>The goal is adding new tests
> and integrating them seamlessly, and absence of obsolete warnings is
> important for seamless integration.

I'm not sure that for adding new tests these warning have to be removed.

Also please keep in mind that the harness is used by several suites
and developers. I think if some options/fields/functionality became
obsolete (and should be removed due to different reasons) then it is
better to discuss it first. If there are no objections then we can
remove it. And it should be removed entirely, not partly as your patch
does.

In this case I don't know if "date-of-creation" and "authors" fields
are useful in test's description or they put additional burden on
developers. So I've changed the subject to to hear opinions of the
harness's users .

Thanks,
Stepan.

Re: [buildtest] Are there obsolete fields in the test's description? (Was: Re: [bti][p-unit] finally, it is ready)

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
BTW, Stepan,
I have prepared a patch for the stress test suite BTI adapter. The
patch delegates tool compilation from the adapter to the build file
(tools are needed for a stand-alone mode as well), and adds invoking
p-unit checkout target. Could you please look into it?

Thanks.

--
With best regards,
Alexei,

Re: [buildtest] Are there obsolete fields in the test's description? (Was: Re: [bti][p-unit] finally, it is ready)

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Stepan,

--
With best regards,
Alexei,

Re: [buildtest] Are there obsolete fields in the test's description? (Was: Re: [bti][p-unit] finally, it is ready)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> For example, currently the harness has the option to select tests for
> running based on authors name. If I want to run all tests created by
> you I should pass to the harness something like: "-execopt
> Selector:exclude:Author Fedotov". Also in this case a warning about
> tests that were not selected because of missing authors field is very
> helpful. And your patch removes it. The same for "creation-date".

I don't think this is a useful feature.  They are just 'harmony tests'
so I see no value in including/excluding tests written by a particular
author.

My 2c.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [buildtest] Are there obsolete fields in the test's description? (Was: Re: [bti][p-unit] finally, it is ready)

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Stepan,

You asked:
> What made them [fields] "obsolete"?

Actually the thing I'm suggesting by my patch is to make these fields
"optional". I believe I may want to make Harmony becoming more