Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Patrick Klein <pa...@bi-so.de> on 2006/11/23 17:19:38 UTC

AJAX and Internet Explorer

Hi!

I'm still working my way through ajax functionality in tapestry 4.1.1
and stumbled upon the following behaviour:

If i'm accessing my test-page using IE the ajax-functionality seems to
fail. The first call of an asynchronous EventListener works (at least
kind of) but e.g. the "dynamic" PropertySelections on the page are empty
afterwards. If i reload the page after this call the values stored in
the page look sane.
However, if i do another change one of my selections which have an
EventListener "connected" to without reloading previously, the whole
thing breaks down. This can be a grey layer above the page. On the Page
the Message "ERROR [time] Remote server exception received" is visible.
Alternatively to that behaviour an Exception is thrown into catalina.out
(not always):

Failure to export classpath resource /dojo/dojo.js.

      Session id    : A895E1D4E7664A94DE4C555069C376FA

Exceptions:

org.apache.catalina.connector.ClientAbortException

java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:96)
java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
[...]

Everything works as is should when i use firefox

Opera shows a completely different behaviour:
The adjusted PropertySelections on the page get rerendered by
updateComponent... at least kind of. After the update is over, the
listboxes contain the correct ammount of selects but the description is
empty... On the bright side, all the intended functionality works.

Could anyone here help me out with the IE related problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Patrick

Re: AJAX and Internet Explorer

Posted by Sam Gendler <sg...@ideasculptor.com>.
Interesting.  I've seen this exact same behaviour in a little test app
I wrote.  In my case, I used a MultiplePropertySelection with a
renderer that renders the component as a multiple select box.  I get
correctly sized select boxes, but the labels are all empty.  I never
bothered to investigate the problem, I'm afraid, but I thought it
might help you to know that this isn't behaviour that is unique to
your app.  Id throw in some source code, but it is heavily dependant
on db schema and a dataset in the db, so I wouldn't be able to build
it, in any case.

Oh, in my case, I'm using the following tap 4.1 jars:

tapestry-framework-4.1.1-20061017.225719-37.jar
tapestry-contrib-4.1.1-20061017.225719-37.jar
tapestry-annotations-4.1.1-20061017.225719-37.jar

--sam