Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Yishun Guan <gy...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/02 20:59:17 UTC

Re: [DISCUSSION] KIP-376: Implement AutoClosable on appropriate classes that has close()

Hi Matthias, thank you for pointing this out! I have changed the KIP
to 'RecordCollector extends AutoCloseable`.

As your first concern regarding incompatibility, can you explain why
this is a breaking change? Although that `AutoClosable#close()`
declares `throws
Exception, I think the overridden 'close()' doesn't have to throw an
exception (either throw a subclass of the parent exception, or not
throw one at all is fine, I could be totally wrong.)

Chia-Ping, I am not quite sure I understand your idea. With the same
idea above, `AutoClosable#close()` is board enough to cover unchecked
and checked exception, right? Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
Yishun