Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Aslam Bari <ia...@yahoo.co.in> on 2006/08/31 06:21:52 UTC

Getting All Properties Std. and Custom

Dear all,
In Slide there are some standard properties like dispalayname,
contentlenght... etc. A user also can make some custom properties. I user
make custom properties in DAV: namespace then my question is:-
Is there is any way to get all DAV: properties including Standard as well as
userdefined properties in the slide.
I ONLY WANT UNIQUE PROPERTIES. means First get STD. properties i.e. 12-15
and user defined properties , no duplicate. IN ALL THE RESOURCES.

My motto is , i want to make a combo box to show user all the properties
avalilbale to him.
Thanks in Advance

RE: Getting All Properties Std. and Custom

Posted by Miguel Figueiredo <mf...@maisis.pt>.
Hello Aslam,

 If you're asking about the last remark, it's just a simple workaround for a
property list management. As an example, you could use this solution: create
a DB table with a OID and string called PROPERTY_NAME. Then use your
favourite O/RM tool to access the database table and allow you to read and
write into it. When you need to find all defined custom properties, just
list the contents of that table.
 Another way to do this, witch I called creepy (you have to figure out how
the persistence model works) in the last mail, was to access slide database
tables, and query them for distinct property names.

Hope this helps,
Miguel Figueiredo

--
You are capable of planning your future.

---------------------------------

RE: Getting All Properties Std. and Custom

Posted by Marco Ferretti <ma...@fermasoft.com>.

Posted by aslam bari <ia...@yahoo.co.in>.
Ok ,

Marco Ferretti <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
  On 9/4/06, aslam bari wrote:
> Hi Julian,
> I think you are not getting my point. Let me explain what i need:-
>
> I want to make a List Box on a form which will show all the properties available in slide for all resources. We know some STD. properties like displayname, contentlenght etc, they should come in List Box. If other user have added their properties, they should also come in the List Box. May be some users made property with same name. But In List Box Property names should come only one time no duplicate means (Unique).
>
> How can i achive this? If i use allProp that is very expensive by the performance point of view. I have found a solution. I first Add All the STD. property in List Box that will be 15 or 16. And tell user to add their CUSTOM property in different namespace. But now how can i propfind allprop in that custom namespace.

Hi Aslam,

let me see if I get your question :
you have a property named displayname in a namespace that's not the
default, let's say FOO. Then, in you r application, you have a listbox
that lists all the properties without showing the namespace, hence
displayname would be duplicated. What you need is that your
application shows only one displayname, the one that refers to FOO.

If I get your point :
you need to filter the properties after the DASL query ( I don't rekon
it is possible to creeate a query that filters on namespaces but I may
be wrong here ) .

Question : what should happen if there are three or more instances of
displayname and different namespaces ?

---------------------------------

Re: Getting All Properties Std. and Custom

Posted by Marco Ferretti <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Miguel Figueiredo <mf...@maisis.pt>.
Hello Aslam,

 I believe it's possible, but not sure, that DASL supports your query
(Julian is the expert there). And it doesn't need to be very performance
expensive if you activate slide's integrated indexing. You can find some
instructions for that in here:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/DaslConfiguration

 The link also suggests another option, witch would be accessing the
metainformation database directly, and perform your 'DISTINCT' sql query.

Hope this helps,
Miguel Figueiredo

  I think you are not getting my point. Let me explain what i need:-

  I want to make a List Box on a form which will show all the properties
available in slide for all resources. We know some STD. properties like
displayname, contentlenght etc, they should come in List Box. If other user
have added their properties, they should also come in  the List Box. May be
some users made property with same name. But In List Box Property names
should come only one time no duplicate means (Unique).

  How can i achive this? If i use allProp that is very expensive by the
performance point of view. I have found a solution. I first Add All the STD.
property in List Box that will be 15 or 16. And tell user to add their
CUSTOM property in different namespace. But now how can i propfind allprop
in that custom namespace.

  Now i hope for the positive response.
  Thanks in advance.

Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> wrote:
  Aslam Bari schrieb:
> Hi Julian, Thanks for reply.
>
> I am making cusotm properteis using DAVExplore and now i am making the
> properties in "CUSTOM:" namespace. Now the questions are:-
>
> 1.) I am giveing propfind method with , it is giving me all the
> properteis of all the resources. The properties names like displayname,
> creationdate .. repeated for every resource. But i want only to get unique
> names of properties. If i am giving this request, then it is performance

What do you mean by "unique" names?

> issue and very havy. Is not there is a way to get all unique properties
> names.
>
> 2.) How to search or get allprop in my Custom namespace.

You can select properties by property names, but that doesn't allow
wildcards (such as all properties in a certain namespace). See
.

Best regards, Julian

Re: Getting All Properties Std. and Custom

Posted by aslam bari <ia...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hi Julian,

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Aslam Bari schrieb:
> Hi Julian, Thanks for reply.
>
> I am making cusotm properteis using DAVExplore and now i am making the
> properties in "CUSTOM:" namespace. Now the questions are:-
>
> 1.) I am giveing propfind method with <allprop/> , it is giving me all the
> properteis of all the resources. The properties names like displayname,
> creationdate .. repeated for every resource. But i want only to get unique
> names of properties. If i am giving this request, then it is performance

What do you mean by "unique" names?

> issue and very havy. Is not there is a way to get all unique properties
> names.
>
> 2.) How to search or get allprop in my Custom namespace.

You can select properties by property names, but that doesn't allow
wildcards (such as all properties in a certain namespace). See
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-09.html#rfc.section.5.3>.

Best regards, Julian

Re: Getting All Properties Std. and Custom

Posted by Aslam Bari <ia...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hi Julian, Thanks for reply.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.