Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Bateman, Matt" <ma...@ebay.com> on 2012/06/16 02:08:44 UTC

KAFKA-264

Hi,

How likely is the scenario where a rebalance might leave some partitions without a consumer? Described here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Central+Consumer+Coordination.

It looks like KAFKA-264 would address this?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: KAFKA-264

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

If a consumer rebalances successfully (does not run out of rebalancing
attempts) and there is no bug in the rebalancing logic, a partition
should always have exactly one consumer/group. Currently, the only way
of verifying this is by running the VerifyConsumerRebalance tool in
kafka.tools package.

KAFKA-264 would improve this since a consumer would always rebalance
successfully and the co-ordinator will ensure that each partition has
exactly one consumer/group.

Thanks,
Neha

RE: KAFKA-264