Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/03 00:05:16 UTC

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tapestry 5.4.4

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:26 AM Chris Poulsen <ma...@nesluop.dk>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Hello!

> We are using some pretty complex data models with deep interface
> hierarchies and generics, and I ended up replacing the internals of
> GenericsUtils with calls to com.google.common.reflect.TypeToken (Guava) to
> get correct behavior

Would it be possible to share your GenericUtils implementation using Guava
with the Tapestry project? Also, what's the ticket you posted before? We
definitely want to fix it for the 5.5.0 release. I already got another
report of a similar problem from another person and it would be nice to
reuse your solution if possible.

--
Thiago

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tapestry 5.4.4

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 7:51 AM Chris Poulsen <ma...@nesluop.dk> wrote:

> Hi

Hello!

> The "fix" for GenericsUtils is attached. I think that Guava is not the
> proper general solution as it is a rather huge beast to bring in, just to
> get access to its TypeToken. Personally I would prefer a lighter solution.

Thank you very much!

Could you please create an issue and post the fixed GenericUtils there?
This way, it's clear the code was contributed and the copyright situation
is clear and correct.

> We have been running this code in production since medio '16 without
> requiring any more fixes. I can see from my commit comment back then, that
> I initially attempted to fix GenericsUtils itself, then attempted to use
> the commons-lang3 (reflect stuff) and finally gave up plugging in Guava as
> it was already a dependency of our application. If the reflect stuff from
> commons-lang3 could be made to work, that would not require any additional
> dependencies being added and be a good solution IMO.

I was thinking of creating a separate subproject/JAR, for backward
compatibility reasons, so anyone wanting to use the Guava-based one could
just easily add the dependency, at least until we find a smaller solution
in the future.

> Revisiting our override code I also see that we have a custom
> PropertyAccessImpl in place, that one fixes some cases where the Java
> Introspector fails to locate some setters, but I see that the Tapestry
> class has received some changes after our version was created, so I
> probably need to check whether that one is still necessary.

PropertyAccessImpl does indeed cover some cases the Java introspector
doesn't and it did evolve in the latest years, so I agree this may not be
necessary anymore.

Thanks again!

Thiago

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tapestry 5.4.4

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
By the way, I've just found this ticket, so you don't need to create
another: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2560

--
Thiago

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tapestry 5.4.4

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> reuse your solution if possible.
>>

>> > (often tapestry would complain that some "setter" was
>> > not found or similar because it resolved the type to something higher in
>> > the interface/object hierarchy and missed the correct method override
>> due
>> > to typing or something else. (I spent some time on attempting to fix the
>> > tapestry implementation, but ended up thinking it was a waste of time
>> > trying to replicate functionality that was already coded (more
>> correctly)
>> > by other people, and picked guava as that was already present in our
>> > dependencies).
>> >
>> > Perhaps it is possible to find a lightweight,/focused library with a
>> > compatible license today, that tapestry could rely on, instead of
>> > attempting to implement this on its own.
>> >
>> > This is obviously not a widespread problem, but it is one of correctness

Thiago

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Tapestry 5.4.4

Posted by Chris Poulsen <ma...@nesluop.dk>.
Hi