Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steve Reichgut <sr...@axtaweb.com> on 2010/03/12 20:20:23 UTC

Trouble Implementing Extracting Request Handler

Now that I have configured my Solr instance for standard indexing, I
wanted to start indexing PDF's, MS Doc's, etc. When I tried to test it
with a simple PDF file, I got the following error:

    org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: lazy loading error
    Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class
    'org.apache.solr.handler.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'

Based on the error, it appeared that the problem is caused by certain
components not being installed or installed correctly. Since I am not a
Java guy, I had my Java person try to install the
ExtractingRequestHandler to no avail. He had said that he was having
real trouble finding good documentation on how to install and enable
this handler.

Could anyone point me to good documentation on how to
install/troubleshoot this?

Steve

Re: Trouble Implementing Extracting Request Handler

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
org/apache/solr/util/plugin/SolrCoreAware in the stack trace refers to
an interface in the main Solr jar.

I think this means that putting all of the libs in
apache-tomcat-6.0.20/lib is a mistake: the classloader finds
ExtractingRequestHandler in
apache-tomcat-6.0.20/lib/apache-solr-cell-1.4.1-dev.jar, but that it
wants the above interface. The main Solr jar is not available somehow.
Since the solr-cell jar is in multiple places, we don't know exactly
how Tomcat finds it.

I suggest that you go back to a clean, empty Tomcat, and the original
Solr distribution. Copy the solr war file to the right directory in
Tomcat. Get Solr talking to your solr/ directory
(-Dsolr.solr.home=path). Now, check if the <lib> directives in the
solrconfig.xml are right.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Trouble Implementing Extracting Request Handler

Posted by Steve Reichgut <sr...@axtaweb.com>.
Lance,

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Trouble Implementing Extracting Request Handler

Posted by Steve Reichgut <sr...@axtaweb.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Trouble Implementing Extracting Request Handler

Posted by Steve Reichgut <sr...@axtaweb.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Trouble Implementing Extracting Request Handler

Posted by Steve Reichgut <sr...@axtaweb.com>.
Hi Grant,

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.