Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Adam Lanier <ad...@krusty.madoff.com> on 2006/10/04 19:49:02 UTC

switching from global bayes to per-user bayes

I am looking into switching from a global bayes/awl/setting environment
to a per-user environment with MySQL as a backend.

<puts on asbestos suit>
Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether and/or to what
degree this might make in overall effectiveness?  Anyone back up that
opinion with cold hard facts?

Will I be able to migrate small sets of users from global to per-user or
will I have to make the jump for all my end-users/domains at once?

I'd like to preload the bayes db for each user so that's it's 'primed'
and ready to do.  Obviously, it would be preferable to preload with
their specific mail but is it possible to feed bayes for each user with
a generic set of spam/ham?

Re: switching from global bayes to per-user bayes

Posted by Adam Lanier <ad...@krusty.madoff.com>.
No comments whatsoever?

R: switching from global bayes to per-user bayes

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.
> I am looking into switching from a global bayes/awl/setting environment
> to a per-user environment with MySQL as a backend.
>
> <puts on asbestos suit>
> Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether and/or to what
> degree this might make in overall effectiveness?  Anyone back up that
> opinion with cold hard facts?
>
> Will I be able to migrate small sets of users from global to per-user or
> will I have to make the jump for all my end-users/domains at once?

I have a suggestion to spare for the "setting" environment which works pretty well to me and would avoid the per-user/global question.

My amavis settings are in a postgres db in which each organization (more or less = domain) has a schema. Each organization has a table with user-defined settings. My public schema (i.e.: the default one) has a table too with organizational settings. Also, the public schema has a view which is the mean by which I get the amavis settings for a given user. It attempts fetching the per-user settings table in the organizational schema and, if they are missing, it attempts fetching the per-organization settings. If this too are missing, it uses some default which may be tought as "local" (ie.: server-wide) settings.

I did find this three-layers way of handling settings pretty useful: a user wants to get .exe attachments without having them wrapped into a warning message? Put a record in the per-user table. An org wants to have treats reported to a specific user? Tell it to the per-organization table.

However, I don't have bayes data on the db (it's in the global bdb). This is because most of my customers use pop3 to download messages, so I have quite no way to train bayes efficently. Do I?

Also, awl settings are in a database only to ease their adjustment (and, in future, replication), but are global as well: I'm serving small communities in my town, so often a source ip/e-mail scores may be reasonably used for all my potential destinators.

Cheers,

	giampaolo