Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Aino A <de...@fttech.net> on 2006/08/18 12:22:06 UTC

Maven2 multi module projects in different locations

Hi,

We have a multi module project with an ear, view and model subproject. These
projects are defined in our svn repository as separate projects with their
own trunk, tags and branches. We would like, need, a Maven organisation with
a parent pom file and to use Continuum.
However, this is doesn't seem a trivial exercise and we tried different
approaches, but none of them fully satisfy us.

1) When we use a dummy project with only the pom files in the preferred
directory structure, the parent project does not contain the sources of the
subprojects and cannot make a correct build. However, the children projects
are fully functional, but are not build when the dependent projects are
build (as discussed elsewhere on this forum).

2) When I put the parent pom.xml file in the root directory of svn and
include the trunk dir in the module name, it works but then the parent
project downloads everything (including all the tags and branches of all the
undelying directories) and it does not work on our local filesystem anymore
(because of the trunk in the module name)

Any suggestions?

Ciao
    Aino
Sent from the Continuum - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Maven2 multi module projects in different locations

Posted by Aino A <de...@fttech.net>.
Hi Emmanuel,

Thank you very much for your reply. I just tried it out.
Indeed, I can now retrieve all the projects at once, but unfortunately
Continuum is not able to retrieve the pom files for the modules, because
it's trying to find them within the project_trunks directory and is not
using the external url.
Error message
'Could not download http://server/project_trunks/view/pom.xml: Unable to
validate URL' (same message for each module).

Any more suggestions?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
You can create symbolic links in svn with svn:external property. With this, you'll can create a
"normal" directory structure.

in svn:
ear
   trunk
     pom.xml
view
   trunk
     pom.xml
model
   trunk
     pom.xml
project_trunks  =>with svn:external property defines to each trunk directory
   pom.xml => with modules defined like if they are real subdirectories

I think it's the best approach to work with svn and a project splitted in multiple trunk directories.

Emmanuel