Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com> on 2018/05/19 22:25:10 UTC

Setting up MiniSolrCloudCluster to use pre-built index

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experience (this is with Solr 6.6) in setting up MiniSolrCloudCluster for unit testing, where we want to use an existing index.

Note that this index wasn’t built with SolrCloud, as it’s generated by a distributed (Hadoop) workflow.

So there’s no “restore from backup” option, or swapping collection aliases, etc.

We can push our configset to Zookeeper and create the collection as per other unit tests in Solr, but what’s the right way to set up data dirs for the cores such that Solr is running with this existing index (or indexes, for our sharded test case)?

Thanks!

— Ken

PS - yes, we’re aware of the routing issue with generating our own shards….

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
Custom big data solutions & training
Flink, Solr, Hadoop, Cascading & Cassandra

Re: Setting up MiniSolrCloudCluster to use pre-built index

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
The merge can be really fast - it can just dump in the new segments and
rewrite the segments file basically.

I guess for you want, that's perhaps not the ideal route though. You could
maybe try and use collection aliases.

I thought about adding shard aliases way back, but never got to it.

http://about.me/markrmiller

Re: Setting up MiniSolrCloudCluster to use pre-built index

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Hi Mark,

--------------------------

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Wondering if anyone has experience (this is with Solr 6.6) in setting up
> MiniSolrCloudCluster for unit testing, where we want to use an existing
>
> Note that this index wasn’t built with SolrCloud, as it’s generated by a
> distributed (Hadoop) workflow.
>
> So there’s no “restore from backup” option, or swapping collection
> aliases, etc.
>
> We can push our configset to Zookeeper and create the collection as per
> other unit tests in Solr, but what’s the right way to set up data dirs for
> the cores such that Solr is running with this existing index (or indexes,
> for our sharded test case)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> — Ken
>
> PS - yes, we’re aware of the routing issue with generating our own shards….

> Ken Krugler
> +1 530-210-6378 <(530)%20210-6378>
> http://www.scaleunlimited.com
> Custom big data solutions & training
> Flink, Solr, Hadoop, Cascading & Cassandra
>
> --
- Mark
about.me/markrmiller