Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/22 14:41:43 UTC

Snark on the users list

Look, I know that we get lots of very provocatively clueless queries
on the user list.

However, I don't think that it's a good idea to be as acerbic as some
of us have been lately.

My advice is this: if you are out of patience with clueless email,
just don't answer it. If you have a little patience, post a
boilerplate email pointing to online resources.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Hello Benson,

looking at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/site/trunk/src/site/apt/guides/getting-started/maven-in-five-minutes.apt?r1=1243212&r2=1364633&pathrev=1364633&diff_format=h

Maybe you could point out that Maven users (or developers in general
:-)) are better off installing the JDK.

Regards Mirko

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rev 1364633 is a small contribution to more stuff to link to.

Nice job, Benson.

-Jesse

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
Um, no we don't.

-Chris

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Benson Margulies
> <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see any problem with a clear statement that 'maven is a
>> development tool for developers'. I agree that going past that to any
>> of the recent attempts to encode RTFM or 'go find a buddy' into some
>> sort of sentence on the web site is a loser, in spite of my attempt to
>> craft one.
>
> Do we back out the my changes to
> guides/getting-started/maven-in-five-minutes.apt then?

No, but I might try another edit to reconcile the various opinons.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you aren't comfortable with tools like this, but you need to use
>> Maven for some reason, you will need to find assistance, and the Maven
>> user community is not a great place to get it, since that community
>> expects that users have this level of skill and experience.
>
> -1 ... this really is off putting.

Oh, well, so much for that idea.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Rev 1364633 is a small contribution to more stuff to link to.
>>
>> Also on the Windows pre-reqs page, it might be nice to say something
>> about antivirus software sometimes preventing Java from running
>> properly, or Windows Firewall (and various other Firewalls) actively
>> preventing Java.exe from reaching out to the Internet to "download
>> stuff" which is a key part of Maven -- so that users will know to add
>> exceptions to grant such actions.

How about this:

Maven is a command-line development tool intended for use by
experienced software developers. As such, it does not come in a
package with an installer, and all of the available documentation
assumes that you are familiar with command-line tools. You have to be
prepared to install and work with tools like this to use Maven.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Snark on the users list

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
A number of people have contacted me off-list about this.

I really didn't want to call anyone out on this topic. This is a mixed
bag. Citing specific threads would make it concrete what I'm point at,
but it would call people out. I'll respond to the off-list threads.
I'll go this far; we've had (I think) two pretty help-vampirish people
turn up recently with an awe-inspiring lack of the necessary minimal
background in using Windows and Java to have any business trying to
use Maven.

Another aspect of the situation is that a few people are carrying a
disproportionate amount of the load of dealing with the user list, and
if some of the rest of us would step up more, that would be better.

RE: Snark on the users list

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.