Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeff Barrett <jb...@finaplex.com> on 2006/11/15 20:57:41 UTC

When was somethign originally added to the repo?

I think this is a relatively easy thing to answer, but it didn't seem
obvious to me as I was fooling around with "svn log" and "svn info".

How can I go about finding out when a particular file or directory was
_originally added_ to the repository?  I'm assuming if I can figure out
the revision I've got my answer, but I haven't been able to figure that
out easily.

For example, I'd like to know when the
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.4.x/ branch was originally
created.  The only solution I can see is to do an svn log command on the
entire branch and wait until the original entry is listed, but that
takes a loooooong time :)

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Re: When was somethign originally added to the repo?

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 11/15/2006 3:57 PM, Jeff Barrett wrote:
> I think this is a relatively easy thing to answer, but it didn't seem
> obvious to me as I was fooling around with "svn log" and "svn info".
>
> How can I go about finding out when a particular file or directory was
> _originally added_ to the repository?  I'm assuming if I can figure out
> the revision I've got my answer, but I haven't been able to figure that
> out easily.
>
> For example, I'd like to know when the
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.4.x/ branch was originally
> created.  The only solution I can see is to do an svn log command on the
> entire branch and wait until the original entry is listed, but that
> takes a loooooong time :)
>
> Am I missing something obvious?

Something like this should do it:

svn log --stop-on-copy -r 1:HEAD | less

or

svn log --stop-on-copy -r 1:HEAD <URL> | less

This starts with the rev that created the current directory (specify it
by URL if you don't have it checked out), and passes the results through
less, so you'll only get a single page listed.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: When was somethign originally added to the repo?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 15, 2006, at 14:57, Jeff Barrett wrote:

> I think this is a relatively easy thing to answer, but it didn't
> seem obvious to me as I was fooling around with "svn log" and "svn
> info".
>
> How can I go about finding out when a particular file or directory
> was _originally added_ to the repository?  I'm assuming if I can
> figure out the revision I've got my answer, but I haven't been able
> to figure that out easily.
>
> For example, I'd like to know when the http://svn.collab.net/repos/
> svn/branches/1.4.x/ branch was originally created.  The only
> solution I can see is to do an svn log command on the entire branch
> and wait until the original entry is listed, but that takes a
> loooooong time :)

$ svn log -r1:HEAD --limit 1 --stop-on-copy http://svn.collab.net/
repos/svn/branches/1.4.x/
r19524 | danderson | 2006-05-05 14:54:59 -0500 (Fri, 05 May 2006) | 1
line

Create the release branch for release 1.4.0.