Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2005/12/20 20:16:13 UTC

Incubating java projects

Dumb question, is it a requirement that the incubating project move to
the org.apache package?

Regards,
Alan

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Right - I would assume you provide some kind of adapter package so
existing code works, and deprecate it...

geirm@apache.org

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes :)

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 21 Dec 2005, at 11:22, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 12/21/05, James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> I wondered why this was mandatory; the purpose of the Java package
>> name scheme is purely to avoid clashes; provided the .org domain name
>> is owned (& we'd be happy to donate to Apache) I don't see why we
>> need to force a major package name change on our users. If it is
>> mandatory then hey we'll comply I'm just questioning who made this
>> decision and why?
>
> Managing additional domains is most possibly a burden for infra.

They don't have to manage them at all - its nothing to do with
infrastructure, purely to do with Java class names and a mechanism to
avoid clashes.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 12/21/05, James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I wondered why this was mandatory; the purpose of the Java package
> name scheme is purely to avoid clashes; provided the .org domain name
> is owned (& we'd be happy to donate to Apache) I don't see why we
> need to force a major package name change on our users. If it is
> mandatory then hey we'll comply I'm just questioning who made this
> decision and why?

Managing additional domains is most possibly a burden for infra.

Jochen

--
Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the
boat. (Mark Twain)

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 21, 2005, at 6:40 AM, James Strachan wrote:

>> I think the package name change is currently not mandatory, but
>> perhaps
>> it should be.
>
> I'm not so sure.  There's already various stuff at Apache that
> breaks this rule (SAX, DOM, JCP APIs such as stuff in geronimo-
> spec, the SCA specification in the Tuscany project; I'm sure there
> are other examples, this was off the top of my head). Seems a bit
> silly to introduce a new rule that we can't ever fully comply with
> for no technical reason.

To be clear, the other namespaces are required by specs (SAX, DOM,
J2EE, SCA...)  its not a choice.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 21 Dec 2005, at 11:13, Leo Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:59:11AM +0000, James Strachan wrote:
>> On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> It's not actually a dumb question, but rather one that I always
>>> took for granted... I realized when asked by Alan that we never had
>>> the need to codify it...
>>
>> Yeah - I've never seen it actually written down anywhere & noticed
>> that the Roller project hadn't switched domains yet.
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/trunk/src/org/
>>
>> I wondered why this was mandatory; the purpose of the Java package
>> name scheme is purely to avoid clashes; provided the .org domain name
>> is owned (& we'd be happy to donate to Apache) I don't see why we
>> need to force a major package name change on our users. If it is
>> mandatory then hey we'll comply I'm just questioning who made this
>> decision and why?
>
> Sun Microsystems in their coding standards :-). It was in retrospect
> not such a good idea perhaps...

Suns coding standards wasn't my question - it was whether or not
"org.apache." should be a mandatory prefix on all Java package names
at Apache.

> One thing we *can't* have is trademarks that aren't owned by the ASF
> (registered or not),

I didn't think trademarks are linked to Java package names are they?

> so *if* the package isn't changed then yes the
> org.roller name and domain *should* probably come under full
> control of
> the ASF (I'll say that's a good idea anyway).

Agreed

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 12/21/2005 3:13 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:59:11AM +0000, James Strachan wrote:
>

>>On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>

>>>It's not actually a dumb question, but rather one that I always
>>>took for granted... I realized when asked by Alan that we never had
>>>the need to codify it...
>>>

>>Yeah - I've never seen it actually written down anywhere & noticed
>>that the Roller project hadn't switched domains yet.
>>
>>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/trunk/src/org/
>>
>>I wondered why this was mandatory; the purpose of the Java package
>>name scheme is purely to avoid clashes; provided the .org domain name
>>is owned (& we'd be happy to donate to Apache) I don't see why we
>>need to force a major package name change on our users. If it is
>>mandatory then hey we'll comply I'm just questioning who made this
>>decision and why?
>>

>Sun Microsystems in their coding standards :-). It was in retrospect
>not such a good idea perhaps...
>
>One thing we *can't* have is trademarks that aren't owned by the ASF
>(registered or not), so *if* the package isn't changed then yes the
>org.roller name and domain *should* probably come under full control of
>the ASF (I'll say that's a good idea anyway).
>
>I think the package name change is currently not mandatory, but perhaps
>it should be.

FWIW, ActiveMQ and ServiceMix are currently in the process of being
transfered.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:59:11AM +0000, James Strachan wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >It's not actually a dumb question, but rather one that I always
> >took for granted... I realized when asked by Alan that we never had
> >the need to codify it...
>
> Yeah - I've never seen it actually written down anywhere & noticed
> that the Roller project hadn't switched domains yet.
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/trunk/src/org/
>
> I wondered why this was mandatory; the purpose of the Java package
> name scheme is purely to avoid clashes; provided the .org domain name
> is owned (& we'd be happy to donate to Apache) I don't see why we
> need to force a major package name change on our users. If it is
> mandatory then hey we'll comply I'm just questioning who made this
> decision and why?

Sun Microsystems in their coding standards :-). It was in retrospect
not such a good idea perhaps...

One thing we *can't* have is trademarks that aren't owned by the ASF
(registered or not), so *if* the package isn't changed then yes the
org.roller name and domain *should* probably come under full control of
the ASF (I'll say that's a good idea anyway).

I think the package name change is currently not mandatory, but perhaps
it should be.

- LSD

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 18:02 +0000, James Strachan wrote:
> Dims could you please give us a bit of time to get ServiceMix's house
> in order first before we can start collaborating with other projects
> in earnest. Don't worry there will be collaboration.

+1!

Sanjiva.

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 21 Dec 2005, at 14:42, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> James,
>
> Incubation process is not set in stone. Just last week, we voted on
> standardizing the mailing list names. So it is a mix of good
> judgement, experience, consensus and rules. If you insist we can put
> start a VOTE on pmc@incubator. I think you are part of that as well.

> resolved it. As to "related-ness". I'd even be ok with ActiveMQ as a
> TLP or ServiceMix as a TLP.

Those are options we can explore in the future; for now the ActiveMQ
and ServiceMix teams are more than happy with Geronimo as the
sponsoring PMC.

> But it does not seem right to be part of
> Geronimo as a sub project.

I disagree. ActiveMQ is a core piece of Geronimo and one of the core
dependencies of ServiceMix; ServiceMix also makes heavy use of XBean
and other Geronimo features (JTA, JCA) together with being integrated
into Geronimo. So apart from community overlap there is currently a
greater technical dependency between ServiceMix and Geronimo than
ServiceMIx and WS. Though that doesn't mean ServiceMix will not work
with other WS projects - e.g. we're already using Axis in ServiceMix.
I'm sure there will be some Tuscany <-> ServiceMIx collaboration soon
and I'm interested in seeing a Synapse <-> ServiceMix bridge of some
kind as well.

> I'd prefer ServiceMix folks to work more
> closely with WS folks or even move to WS-land. But that's another
> story.

Sure - we know - you've said this before and it'll happen. I don't
think the sponsor PMC or whether or not ServiceMix is a TLP or part
of Geronimo or WS is gonna change that too much.

> FYI, am and Guillaume Nodet did work during the hackathon on
> some stuff. But i'd like to see more closer cooperation.

See - already moving ServiceMix to Apache has led to some new
collaboration that might not have happened otherwise :)

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 21 Dec 2005, at 16:45, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Then at least the proposal should be honest enough, not to name names.
> If we don't know what ServiceMix's needs are, we cannot make sure the
> design of Synapse will fit right with ServiceMix. No one is asking for
> a code drop. Asking for involvement, i think that's what a community
> means. getting involved. SM did not have to come into Apache to
> increase cooperation. It could have been done before.
>
> Why talk publicly about strong ties to Tuscany/Synapse in public
> forums and blogs (example -
> http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=38049) when
> there is no intention in the field to community building aspects?

Just because its not happened yet doesn't mean the intention is not
there.

Would it make you happier if we took the names of projects we'd like
to collaborate with from the proposal until that collaboration
actually starts?

James
-------

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

Then at least the proposal should be honest enough, not to name names.
If we don't know what ServiceMix's needs are, we cannot make sure the
design of Synapse will fit right with ServiceMix. No one is asking for
a code drop. Asking for involvement, i think that's what a community
means. getting involved. SM did not have to come into Apache to
increase cooperation. It could have been done before.

Why talk publicly about strong ties to Tuscany/Synapse in public
forums and blogs (example -
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=38049) when
there is no intention in the field to community building aspects? BTW,
Here at Apache community building involves hanging out on mailing
lists *NOT* IRC. I can point you to several folks who have strong
reservations about IRC usage in certain projects.

Thanks,
dims

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
James,

[...]

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/beehive-dev/200410.mbox/%3c4B2B4C417991364996F035E1EE39E2E10221583B@uskiex01.bea.com%3e

thanks for listening,
dims

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
James,

To be blunt, what is being done here? here's what i see as a casual
observer to the infra list.

- A bunch of projects are getting into Apache controlled by the same
set of people (ServiceMix/ActiveMQ/XBean/WADI)
- Folks are getting completely unrelated projects into an umbrella
project "Geronimo"
- Folks involved want everything under the sun to be supported by infra folks
- Folks dont want to use incubator.apache.org as the mailing list domain
- Folks dont want to even change their package name
- Folks just want to do what they want to do regardless of precedent

Where is this heading? I am afraid to ask.

thanks,
dims

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
James Strachan wrote:

> I don't see why we need to force a major package name
> change on our users.

Branding and consistency.  A wrapper package can be used to deprecate the
old names.

	--- Noel

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> It's not actually a dumb question, but rather one that I always
> took for granted... I realized when asked by Alan that we never had
> the need to codify it...

Yeah - I've never seen it actually written down anywhere & noticed
that the Roller project hadn't switched domains yet.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/trunk/src/org/

I wondered why this was mandatory; the purpose of the Java package
name scheme is purely to avoid clashes; provided the .org domain name
is owned (& we'd be happy to donate to Apache) I don't see why we
need to force a major package name change on our users. If it is
mandatory then hey we'll comply I'm just questioning who made this
decision and why?

James

> On Dec 20, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> Dumb question, is it a requirement that the incubating project
>> move to the org.apache package?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alan

> geirm@apache.org

James
-------

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Hehe. cross checked the ACL's. James should be able to update any
incubator document we have :)

-- dims

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
On 22 Dec 2005, at 06:36, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 19:47 -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:16:13AM -0800, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>> Dumb question, is it a requirement that the incubating project
>>> move to
>>> the org.apache package?
>>
>> I would say "yes".
>
> Big +1.
>
> We of course cannot control standard APIs like org.w3c.dom, or javax.*
> etc., but for software that is developed at Apache the Java packaging
> should always be org.apache.*. IMO that's the signal to the world of
> Java programmers that they're using ASF code and its a valuable signal
> that we must not lose.
>
> "Hurting" current users with the change cost is a good thing in this
> case IMO: that way they too realize that there's a big change in the
> project and that its now an ASF project.

Great point Sanjiva - am completely sold now, many thanks. Package
renaming for ActiveMQ and ServiceMix coming up real soon....

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> > Dumb question, is it a requirement that the incubating
> > project move to the org.apache package?

> I would say "yes".

As would (and did) most others.  We should add this to the Incubation
checklist.  I don't want to see another mistake made as was apparently made
with iBatis.

And, as Jim noted, this should go into the Incubation Guide.

	--- Noel

Re: Incubating java projects

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:16:13AM -0800, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Dumb question, is it a requirement that the incubating project move to
> the org.apache package?

I would say "yes".

Consider five years down the road. The pre-Incubator life of a project
is a distant memory at that point. You're going to confuse the heck
out of users if the namespace is *not* org.apache.

I believe that an incoming project better have a *very* strong
rationale for sticking to their pre-Apache namespace. A reason that
can last five years. Ten years.

An example for consideration: "It will hurt our users" is valid, but
how many and how badly will it hurt them? Can projects that use the
old namespace just stick to the old codebase? If they want new stuff,
then couldn't they just update their references?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/