Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Todd Andrews <ta...@pobox.com> on 2014/06/03 21:03:43 UTC

Problem building log4cxx 0.10.0 -- missing source files?

Hello,

I'm trying to follow the steps listed here
http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/building/vstudio.html to build under
Visual C++ 6. The URL mentions apr-1.2.11-win32-src.zip
and apr-util-1.2.10-win32-src.zip but the download link only has one .zip
file -- apache-log4cxx-0.10.0.zip -- and there are no .zip files within
apache-log4cxx-0.10.0.zip. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I'll be glad to update the URL with whatever steps are given to me; I just
need to know what the steps are.

Thanks in advance!

-Todd

Re: Problem building log4cxx 0.10.0 -- missing source files?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag ToddA,
am Sonntag, 8. Juni 2014 um 02:18 schrieben Sie:

> Thank you for your reply, but after visiting the various links you
> provided, as a noob I can see it's a lotof work to build     from
> the latest source to be sure I get the latest bug fixes.

It's not that hard, you just need to download apr and apr-util, unpack
them in a special folder structure, download ant and maven, save them
wherever you want, make them available to your shell and call some
maven scripts. It's easier than it may sound and there simply are no
other more current binaries available. And I doubt that VC++ 6 is that
common on the user or dev base of the project that one can simply
provide his binaries.

Give it a try. :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Problem building log4cxx 0.10.0 -- missing source files?

Posted by ToddA <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thorsten,

Thank you for your reply, but after visiting the various links you
provided, as a noob I can see it's a /lot/ of work to build from the
latest source to be sure I get the latest bug fixes.

According to the FAQ on the wiki
<http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4cxx/FrequentlyAskedQuestions> there
are binary versions available, generated nightly:

    A nightly build is performed on GUMP <http://gump.apache.org/>,
    based on the ant build system. To make sure that the GNU autotools
    based build system also works properly, a nightly (unofficial) build
    based on it is created at http://www.littletux.net/log4cxx. This
    build also executes the unit tests. The build is based on SVN HEAD,
    but usually contains some additional patches which are not yet in
    committed to the SVN repository. The platform is a Debian GNU/Linux
    3.1 System using gcc 3.3.5

I was hoping the link for GUMP would be direct to the log4cxx binaries
but it just goes to the home page of GUMP itself. When I tried going to
http://www.littletux.net/log4cxx, I'm automatically redirected to
http://www.software-architect.net/log4cxx where I get a "Page not found"
error. If I navigate to the main http://www.software-architect.net and
click on the Projects link, the site owner has written:

    Apache

    In early 2005 I was looking for a logging framework for C++ which is
    similar to log4j. I found the log4j port, log4cxx, from the Apache
    software foundation and became a committer some months later. No
    work is currently done on this project, mainly due to time constraints.

Even if a binary was still available at littletux.net or
software-architect.net, I don't have any idea whether it would be a
/Windows/ binary since the FAQ on the wiki says the platform is Debian.

If I can get Windows binaries, I would plan to follow the steps outlined
here: http://tinyurl.com/pooz6f2

Here are my questions:

1. How can I integrate log4cxx into a Visual C++ 6 project in a simpler
way (I'm guessing using a Windows binary would be most appropriate)?

2. Where can the latest nightly-build binaries be downloaded, and if
there is no place, can some kind soul make them available? Windows
binaries are probably the easiest for me to use, but even if binaries
are only available for Linux, I'd like to know a URL so I can update the
FAQ on the wiki, even if all I could do is change it to read, "Are there
binaries available? Answer: No." :D

3. I wouldn't mind volunteering to update
http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/dependencies.html with the info you've
included below but I can't seem to find a way to register for making
changes to logging.apache.org like I can for wiki.apache.org. Is there a
way to register?

I'm interested in updating the FAQ on the wiki and the Dependencies page
so that other noobs like myself will have the info and save time.

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Todd Andrews,