Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by AGN <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/02 08:43:30 UTC

Re: spamassassin on qmail

Which option is better...
using a Milter such as mail scanner or integrating spamassassin and clamav
with qmail?

Could you help me with pros and cons of each.

Thank in advance!

RE: spamassassin on qmail

Posted by RobertH <ro...@abbacomm.net>.

> Which option is better...
> using a Milter such as mail scanner or integrating
> spamassassin and clamav with qmail?
>
> Could you help me with pros and cons of each.
>
> Thank in advance!

ummmm you will probably need qmail-scanner or simscan

http://qmail.jms1.net

www.lifewithqmail.org

and other sites depending on your skill levels

 - rh

Re: spamassassin on qmail

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
AGN wrote:
> Which option is better...
> using a Milter such as mail scanner or integrating spamassassin and clamav
> with qmail?
>
> Could you help me with pros and cons of each.
>
> Thank in advance!

MailScanner is not a milter. It runs after mail has been queued, while
milters operate at delivery time.

In general, compared to integrating it in your qmail .cf files MailScanner:
    -Lacks the ability to reject messages, as it happens after they've
been accepted.
    +Gains the ability for your MTA to continue to receive bursts of
mail even when the scanning process is backed up under load. A delivery
time scanner will either stop accepting mail or stop scanning in this
situation. This means mail will be delayed locally waiting on the
scanner, instead of remotely waiting for the sender to retry.
    -If the high load is sustained, not a burst, your mail queue will
fill up. A delivery time scanner will just accept less mail.