Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/11/25 12:30:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Hi,

During CCCEU14 conference and over emails, I spoke with many CloudStack users and I think most of us would like to have and use LTS releases. I propose that;

- We encourage a habit to backport a bugfix to all qualifying branches whether or not those branches are LTS
- We contribute (unit, integration) tests on LTS branches as well on other qualifying branches
- We put correct affect version and fix version on JIRA so issues that should be backported to a branch are identified
- We adapt the LTS release model from Fedora/Ubuntu projects. Please share ideas, comments?
- We officially recognize a LTS release branch, say 4.3 now and everyone helps to maintain it, backport bugfixes etc.
- Until a next latest stable release is published that we all mutually agree, we keep working on the LTS branch. After say we have a stable 4.5.0 or 4.5.1 release, we can agree to recognize 4.5 as our next LTS branch and work on it.

Having a robust product release means we all (developers, users, sysadmins, ops etc.) can save time consumed on firefighting a CloudStack cloud. Having a LTS branch and releases will get us there because on a LTS release/support branch we don’t do feature work at all and we only invest time to do bugfixing etc.

ShapeBlue is already serving their customers with product patching service and using our own packages hosting (http://shapeblue.com/packages) we publish patches on the “main” repository for everyone. We also publish details of the patch we publish on our Github wiki, such as this example;
https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack/wiki/Release-Notes:-ACS-4.4.1-ShapeBlue-Patch01
We’ve recently started putting patches and release notes publicly (rather than just using emails) so you’ll see more of these in future. When we make patches we push the changes to upstream branches as well, in fact we fix on upstream first.

In our experience the 4.3.x releases are most stable and so we’re backporting bugfixes from 4.4/4.5/master. I’m personally going through a list of JIRA issues which has affect version 4.3.0 and/or 4.3.1 but the bugfix either does not exist or exists in a non-4.3 branch.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Rohit, I consider you my friend and colleague, I could reply on
everything said but do not want to escalate on all the details. The
only remark I want to make is that 4.4 is open for commits from here
on in.

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by ChunFeng <ch...@domolo.com>.
Thanks to Rohit  & Andrei shares focus on this topic .

I am +1 on we should "reshape"  the rhythm of new release  .

btw,

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

 Since the 2004 release of the 2.6 kernel, Linux no longer uses this system, and has a much shorter release cycle.
 In 2004, after version 2.6.0 was released, the kernel developers held several discussions regarding the release and version scheme[200][201] and ultimately Linus Torvalds and others decided that a much shorter "time-based" release cycle would be beneficial.
 The even-odd system of alternation between stable and unstable was gone. Instead, development pre-releases are titled release candidates, which is indicated by appending the suffix '-rc' to the kernel version, followed by an ordinal number.

------------------

Regards,
ChunFeng

From:  "Andrei Mikhailovsky"<an...@arhont.com>;
Date:  Thu, Nov 27, 2014 08:51 PM
To:  "dev"<de...@cloudstack.apache.org>;

Subject:  Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

ChunFeng,

I think as long as there is a change to the current efforts it will improve the stability of the product. At the moment, it is clearly not working very well for the end users, otherwise, we would not be discussing this topic.

As to answer your previous concerns, I agree, having a 5 year support is not an option for CloudStack, especially taking into considering the dynamic development and the current maturity of the product. It has to be more frequent. Perhaps the LTS equivalent version should be released with every two/three releases of the non-LTS release. Two/three release cycles should be enough time to community test the new features and correct the bugs for the stable release.

IMHO the naming concept is less important as long as the documentation and release notes make a distinction. Having fancy letters at the end of the product name is a marketing/PR/sales job ). Some companies use LTS, others GA, others simply use odd/even version numbering to distinguish between the production and testing releases.

One issue that I foresee with the LTS / non-LTS release cycles is that the non-LTS releases might have a smaller userbase as a lot of users want to have a production ready system and they perhaps be less likely to install and test the non-LTS release.

Andrei
Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
ChunFeng,

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
+1

Agree with everything that Andrija have said.

The community needs to divert their attention and focus ever so slightly from producing new features to producing a more stable release. Having the LTS releases will capture this approach and will make the product more stable as fresh and less tested features will not be backported and only the fixes will be contributed. Only the dev team has the capability of actually debugging and fixing the issues.

I am not a developer and can only contribute to the existing bugs or create new bug reports, which I have done in the past. It is very frustrating from a user perspective to see some of the bugs which are effecting their environments not being addressed in new releases. I will try for myself to find more time for testing new releases and report back the issues, but I will not do this on production anymore. I've already had to downgrade my environment 3 times because of the problems with the latest releases. From what I can see, 4.4.1 is no different from the last couple of unlucky releases, with many upgrade problem reports on the user list.

>From what I can see, ShapeBlue team is doing a great job at backporting issues already and I hope many developers will join this effort.

Andrei

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

From:  "sebgoa"<ru...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Thu, Nov 27, 2014 05:14 PM
To:  "dev"<de...@cloudstack.apache.org>;

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
my 2 cents again:

--

Andrija Panić

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <hu...@trippaers.nl>.
[...]

New developers might also be scared by the fact that a fix they make has to be supported on multiple branches and might decide not to commit such a fix because of the work involved. With the rate of change in the code at the moment this is also very hard for seasoned developers, so much little, but important stuff changes all the time that back porting is very difficult. It is an open source project and generally people will want to focus on the latest and greatest and just get their features in. I’m already regularly having some trouble back porting between master and 4.5. Consider back porting to master, 4.5 and 4.3 as well and having to test each branch.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <hu...@trippaers.nl>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hey Daan,

RE: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee>.
I do prefer 4.4 as well because it has GPU sharing and we actively test it.  Other bugs are not so important for us right now.

Vadim.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
> I like 4.4 better than 4.3 for my use case and despite the bugs I hit it does its job.
> If I were to deploy today it would still be with 4.4. Hope this makes you feel better. :-)

It makes me feel the hero;) Seriously, I don't feel bad about 4.4, but
I am worried of a legacy of 4.3 being created were 4.4 effectively
becomes a fork of the product while 4.3 keeps converging back to 4.5.
Rohit is putting tremendous effort into 4.3 that I will certainly not
put into 4.4. I don't mind doing some convergence work. This is not
our use case. I don't want to compete with Rohit. I raise the subject
because of my concerns for the project.

--
Daan

RE: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Daan,

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Daan,

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hey Daan,

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Rohit,

Agreed, I know very well how it is to get "stuck" with a certain version and your (and everyone's) need for backports.
Your decision re 4.3 seems to make sense, it looks in good (blue?) shape.

4.5 is starting to look very interesting.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Rohit,

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Wido and Lucian,

[...]

The 4.4 branch does not contain many bugfixes which are in 4.3 and on master/4.5. I anticipate that 4.5.0 should be out in about 2 months time around Jan/Feb 2015. With this anticipation and known confidence of 4.3.x in production at ShapeBlue we decided to support 4.3 branch until a stable 4.5.x branch is out.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Wido and Lucian,

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi everyone,

Thanks for a great discussion.

I understand it may be difficult to support releases for several years with CloudStack’s fast paced development, and the statistics Leo shared are certainly not what I was aiming for.

I think it will be difficult to gather agreement in this stage and I certainly don’t want to hurt upstream in any way so I think it’s alright to simply keep doing bugfix releases without labelling them with anything on the upstream project.

From ShapeBlue’s standpoint we will keep working on the upstream first and make sure we don’t fork CloudStack though we’ll have our support branches but those will be public too (https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack).

We’ll be driving bugfix releases and if those releases are not possible (due to lack of upgrade paths to later/future versions say in 4.4.1, 4.4.2 etc) we’ll keep releasing our patches with suitable release notes publicly via our deb/rpm repositories publicly (shapeblue.com/packages) for everyone.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi everyone,

From ShapeBlue’s standpoint we will keep working on the upstream first and make sure we don’t fork CloudStack though we’ll have our support branches but those will be public too (https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack).

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
> During CCCEU14 conference and over emails, I spoke with many
> CloudStack users and I think most of us would like to have and use
> LTS releases. I propose that;

> - We encourage a habit to backport a bugfix to all qualifying
> branches whether or not those branches are LTS
> - We contribute (unit, integration) tests on LTS branches as well on
> other qualifying branches
> - We put correct affect version and fix version on JIRA so issues
> that should be backported to a branch are identified
> - We adapt the LTS release model from Fedora/Ubuntu projects. Please
> share ideas, comments?
> - We officially recognize a LTS release branch, say 4.3 now and
> everyone helps to maintain it, backport bugfixes etc.
> - Until a next latest stable release is published that we all
> mutually agree, we keep working on the LTS branch. After say we have
> a stable 4.5.0 or 4.5.1 release, we can agree to recognize 4.5 as
> our next LTS branch and work on it.

> Having a robust product release means we all (developers, users,
> sysadmins, ops etc.) can save time consumed on firefighting a
> CloudStack cloud. Having a LTS branch and releases will get us there
> because on a LTS release/support branch we don’t do feature work at
> all and we only invest time to do bugfixing etc.

+1 with everything. It is essential for the end users to have a bug fix releases instead of waiting for the next release to come. I've noticed that with CloudStack project majority of latest releases have been delayed from their initial estimated dates. This creates a lot of false expectations and false hopes for the end users who are waiting for the bug fixes. I guess a lot of productions users would rather see a bug being fixed than get a bunch of new features, which are likely to be broken or unpolished in the first release. Also, new releases are likely to introduce additional issues upon upgrading forcing people to downgrade back to their old releases with old unfixed bugs. The LTS release would solve a lot of issues and frustrations and should actually be beneficial to the project and community.

In my opinion the Ubuntu team has captured the releases cycles perfectly well. Perhaps ACS should have a stable release every 2 years and a testing release every 2 or 4 quarters. This way, the users will be happy to have a solid backported platform that they can run in production and the developers will be happy working on a new feature set.

> ShapeBlue is already serving their customers with product patching
> service and using our own packages hosting
> (http://shapeblue.com/packages) we publish patches on the “main”
> repository for everyone. We also publish details of the patch we
> publish on our Github wiki, such as this example;
> https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack/wiki/Release-Notes:-ACS-4.4.1-ShapeBlue-Patch01
> We’ve recently started putting patches and release notes publicly
> (rather than just using emails) so you’ll see more of these in
> future. When we make patches we push the changes to upstream
> branches as well, in fact we fix on upstream first.

Kudos to ShapeBlue team!!! Many thanks for your contributions and help on promoting this project. I love you guys!!!

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] LTS Releases

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
Hi,

On 11/25/2014 12:30 PM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During CCCEU14 conference and over emails, I spoke with many CloudStack users and I think most of us would like to have and use LTS releases. I propose that;
>
> - We encourage a habit to backport a bugfix to all qualifying branches whether or not those branches are LTS
> - We contribute (unit, integration) tests on LTS branches as well on other qualifying branches
> - We put correct affect version and fix version on JIRA so issues that should be backported to a branch are identified
> - We adapt the LTS release model from Fedora/Ubuntu projects. Please share ideas, comments?
> - We officially recognize a LTS release branch, say 4.3 now and everyone helps to maintain it, backport bugfixes etc.
> - Until a next latest stable release is published that we all mutually agree, we keep working on the LTS branch. After say we have a stable 4.5.0 or 4.5.1 release, we can agree to recognize 4.5 as our next LTS branch and work on it.
>
> Having a robust product release means we all (developers, users, sysadmins, ops etc.) can save time consumed on firefighting a CloudStack cloud. Having a LTS branch and releases will get us there because on a LTS release/support branch we don’t do feature work at all and we only invest time to do bugfixing etc.
>
> ShapeBlue is already serving their customers with product patching service and using our own packages hosting (http://shapeblue.com/packages) we publish patches on the “main” repository for everyone. We also publish details of the patch we publish on our Github wiki, such as this example;
> https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack/wiki/Release-Notes:-ACS-4.4.1-ShapeBlue-Patch01
> We’ve recently started putting patches and release notes publicly (rather than just using emails) so you’ll see more of these in future. When we make patches we push the changes to upstream branches as well, in fact we fix on upstream first.
>
> In our experience the 4.3.x releases are most stable and so we’re backporting bugfixes from 4.4/4.5/master. I’m personally going through a list of JIRA issues which has affect version 4.3.0 and/or 4.3.1 but the bugfix either does not exist or exists in a non-4.3 branch.

I'm not against it at all, I think that a lot of end-users would really
want this.

But aren't we a bit to soon? I agree that 4.3 is a good version which is
out there and 4.4.2 seems to be as well, but where do we make the decision?

I think that we should have master more stable before we can do this.

Backporting things from master to 4.3 is already a time consuming job
due to the big differences between the branches.

At PCextreme we run on 4.3 with our own homebrew version where we got
some patches from master to 4.3, but that is already taking a lot of time.

Wido