Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Joerg von Frantzius <jf...@web.de> on 2008/08/29 12:16:06 UTC

Glyph "black right-pointing triangle" not correctly rendered in PDF

Hi,

I can't get FOP to render &#x25B6; correctly in PDF (see e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_Geometric_Shapes). Before I file a
bug report, I thought I better ask whether someone is able to render it
using the following example.

It should show up in font "Courier". I checked the PDF generated, and
"Courier" is substituted with the Type 1 font "CourierStd" on my system,
telling from Acrobat Reader properties for the PDF file. I verified
using kfontview that indeed "CourierStd" has that glyph (in Unicode
block "Geometric Shapes").

I tried with both FOP 0.94 and 0.95.

Maybe someone could feed the following example into FOP to verify that
it neither works for him/her while it should?

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <fo:layout-master-set>
            <fo:simple-page-master master-name="only">
                <fo:region-body region-name="xsl-region-body"
    margin="0.7in" />
                <fo:region-before region-name="xsl-region-before"
    extent="0.7in" />
                <fo:region-after region-name="xsl-region-after"
    extent="0.7in" />
            </fo:simple-page-master>
        </fo:layout-master-set>
        <fo:page-sequence master-reference="only">

            <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">

                <fo:block>This should be a black arrow right</fo:block>
                <fo:block>
                    Courier:
                    <fo:inline font-family="Courier" font-style="normal"
    font-weight="normal">&#x25B6;
                    </fo:inline>
                </fo:block>
                <fo:block>
                    Helvetica:
                    <fo:inline font-family="Helvetica" font-style="normal"
                        font-weight="normal">&#x25B6;</fo:inline>
                </fo:block>
                <fo:block>
                    Times:
                    <fo:inline font-family="Times" font-style="normal"
    font-weight="normal">&#x25B6;
                    </fo:inline>
                </fo:block>
                <fo:block>
                    Symbol:
                    <fo:inline font-family="Courier" font-style="normal"
    font-weight="normal">&#x25B6;
                    </fo:inline>
                </fo:block>
                <fo:block>
                    ITC Zapf Dingbats:
                    <fo:inline font-family="ITC Zapf Dingbats"
    font-style="normal"
                        font-weight="normal">&#x25B6;</fo:inline>
                </fo:block>
            </fo:flow>
        </fo:page-sequence>
    </fo:root>

Thanks,
Jörg

Re: Glyph "black right-pointing triangle" not correctly rendered in PDF

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I'm afraid it's not that simple. While that "CourierStd" font might have
the glyph you're looking for, the "Courier" Base14 font is used when you
look at it from FOP's perspective. And that font is an old Type 1 font
which doesn't have this glyph. "CourierStd" is only a substitution on
the target platform.

You'll need to register the CourierStd (or another font with this glyph)
with FOP and adjust everything so this font is used instead. Then you'll
get your geometric shapes.

HTH

Jeremias Maerki