Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Crinson <to...@booking.com> on 2007/02/23 16:41:21 UTC

Tomcat 5.5 Context level element

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to tomcat 5.5.17 (on red hat linux on java 5)
and have noticed and read about the disappearance of the <logger>
element in the context which used to log stack traces and uncaught
exceptions.

I have looked through this list and although there are one or two
threads on it I could see no conclusions.

Testing it, I have discovered that an intentional NullPointerException
thrown does not get picked up in the logs that I can see. Whereas it
used to get directed to the log of my choice in 5.0.28 and was easily
visible.

I have log4j.jar in place in catalina.home/common/lib and
log4j.properties in common/classes with the level set to DEBUG but still
nothing.

The only way I have found to get round this problem is to define my own
Struts Request processor and override processException, and log the
uncaught exceptions in there to a logger specified in the webapp
log4j.properties.

So, my question is, is this the only way to do this, or have I missed
something more obvious? I can't seem to find anything more useful in the
documentaion, it simple states these are now logged to stdout, but even
though this is redirected by catalina.sh into the catalina.out the
exception is not in there. However, writing to System.out and System.err
both appear in here.

Thanks very much for any help given

Tom

Re: Tomcat 5.5 Context level element

Posted by Tom Crinson <to...@booking.com>.
Thanks for your response Rémy, it is much appreciated.
I have followed that guide step by step and another guide in "Pro
Jakarta Tomcat 5" Which contains details of tomcat 5.5 as well.

So far, all I get in the tomcat.log with the configuration specified in
that link is masses of debug with no details of the error that is
causing the jsp to stop displaying half way through. In 5.0.28 it had
all the details of the page and output of the jsp in the logs.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.