Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Abernathy, Don" <DA...@MFS.com> on 2016/03/20 14:15:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Questions on getting Remote Address of client via Apache

We are running Apache behind an F5 fronting JAVA Container (WebSphere) and the JAVA code makes an HttpServletRequest.getRemoteAddr() request to get IP.
The IP I am told is the one that the CGI REMOTE_ADDR server parameter of Apache provides, but when I try to log that value to see what it is, I get null.
I am under the impression that there is no setting to turn on, but that it should work.
I will note that the Apache I am running is the IBM Version, known as IBM Http Server.

I have asked the my team to look at using X-Forwarded-User, but how would I set it up so that the query for IP returns that, or do we ask the JAVA Developer to change the
Code to support checking for X-Forwarded-User, NOT getRemoteAddr?

Thanks

Don Abernathy
Group Manager- Web Services
MFS Investment Management
MFS Email system made the following annotation
This email communication and any attachments may contain proprietary, confidential, or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this email in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. The sender does not waive confidentiality or any privilege by mistransmission. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete this email, and destroy all copies and any attachments.

RE: [users@httpd] Questions on getting Remote Address of client via Apache

Posted by "Abernathy, Don" <DA...@MFS.com>.
Thanks, was able to figure that that all though logging of the value was intermittent, If I assigned it to another value, say CLIENTIP, I could consistently log that, so now  I know it is there.
I like this idea too.

Don Abernathy
Group Manager- Web Services
T: 617-954-4127