Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> on 2012/02/22 09:17:50 UTC

[OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Today Adobe released the Flash Platform roadmap. [1] I find the
ActionScript Next section quite interesting.

yours
Martin.

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Haykel BEN JEMIA <ha...@gmail.com>.
Correct Dimitri. Now users must use Chrome to view Flash content? OK you
say the other browsers can have support added through
Pepper, but who knows if it will ever happen and if it will be up to date.
The plugin will not be available from Adobe anymore, yet another source of
confusion. It has to be downloaded from different sources or worst we have
to install Chrome even if we use Firefox.

Haykel

Posted by ganaraj p r <ga...@gmail.com>.
If my understanding is right.. The same flash player works on both Firefox
and Chrome. If this is the same in Linux.. The same Flash Player that can
be installed into chrome ( on linux! ) can also be installed into Firefox?
Do you use any other browsers on Linux?

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM, David Arno <da...@davidarno.org> wrote:

> [...]

Ganaraj P R

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Jarosław Szczepankiewicz <js...@gmail.com>.
me to, if the shift of developers from adobe will be from linux team
to the windows team I'am happy with that. Never seen a single customer
with linux browser / desktop in my whole history (b2b market
advertising / marketing / interactive).

Posted by Avinash Narayanan <av...@gmail.com>.
>From my current experience, my designers are a lot happier knowing we use
flex than HTML5 (currently at least). Mobile/Tablet is a whole different
ball game altogether.

Thanks
Avinash Y

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

> Perhaps ours is an odd business, but I'd estimate 80% of our users are on
> Linux, the other 20% are on Windows. We provide no support for using our
> products on Macs at all as there is no demand.

Now you're making me curious :) What kind of business are you in?

cheers,

Roland

> I have worked on exactly these types of applications as well.
> Both in education and digital publishing I have exclusively encountered
> Windows boxes and to a degree Apple. Never any Linux on the desktop
anywhere.

Perhaps ours is an odd business, but I'd estimate 80% of our users are on
Linux, the other 20% are on Windows. We provide no support for using our
products on Macs at all as there is no demand.

Clearly the dropping of support for Flash on Linux, except via Google and
its browser (which I don't think we currently support!) hits us a lot harder
than it hits others.

David.

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

Posted by Haykel BEN JEMIA <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
Jeffry,

As with many things Macromedia did at the time... I don't know, but they
were some times... well, funny :) That SEO kit was available for
downloading publicly for about a month or so, you only needed an account of
a registered user (which I had, b/c I purchased Flash MX 2004 some time
before than :). So I just downloaded it, but never used for anything. Later
the download was removed, without any further announcements. I lost those
files, eventually formatting my HD (screw Windows! never again) tee-hee...
well, end of story.

Best.

wvxvw

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
> Redtamarin
Yes, that's the project I was thinking about, but you can't use flash.*
classes with it - so, it's nice, but not very useful, if your purpose was
to test flash.* classes :)

AIR needs X and, I'm not sure why, but it needs a lot of stuff that is
unlikely to run w/o X. Besides, obviously, there's no AIR for Linux since
something like half a year ago I guess... :)
I just out of the interest tried to launch some AIR application w/o X and
the first thing it did it told me Gtk warning * cannot launch display - so,
I guess, that wasn't quite unexpected.

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
I think MXMLC is already doing that - all that stuff that goes into
metadata, that no one ever fills in - I think it's called XMP or something
like that. :)

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Michael A. Labriola <
labriola@digitalprimates.net> wrote:

> Wasn't arguing if you could.

Oh I know you weren't arguing. I wasn't saying you were wrong. Just
throwing in another opinion of how one person's results when working with
it. My solution though was also middle tier dependent. I've done some
experiments with extending components so that they write out information to
the wrapper for search engines and it worked, the problem was the overhead
added to the framework.

This would probably be best suite by an injected behavior.

--
Jonathan Campos

RE: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>I've done many applications that are SEO compliant using Flex. In my blog I've even outlines a few ways to do this, however there was never something within the framework that fully supported this. I ended up having to make >a bunch of extra logic to make this work, but it was possible.

Wasn't arguing if you could. More that it always seemed to be Flex was the realm of apps and, in my experience with the ones I have worked on, didn't have the same requirements for SEO. Always seemed when this requirements was in play it was something straddling the border of what I think of as an application and a rich functional web site.

Mike

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Michael A. Labriola <

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Compiler list? Developer mailing-list: anything Flex related :)

Anways: I think this discussion is important because a development model
on a XHTML data structure/provider could allow a Flash AND HTML
development model.
Just because websites are not made in Flash anymore doesn't mean rich
websites will never be made with Flex ;)

Regarding the beer invitation: I am living in Japan these days so it
might get tough. Thanks for the invitation though!

yours
Martin.

On 28/02/2012 05:32, Duane Nickull wrote:
> It is a very valuable discussion to have.  I am just not sure if it
> belongs in the Compiler list.
>
> FWIW - I used XHTML data providers.  Having the keyword in<title>  for a
> better initial ranking.
>
> BTW - I will be in Vienna next week if you want to grab a beer to discuss?
>
> Duane
>
> Überity.com
> President&  COO
> Adobe LiveCycle ES Consultant Services
> http://www.uberity.com
> Blog | http://technoracle.blogspot.com
> Twitter | @Uberity @duanechaos
>

> On 12-02-27 11:46 AM, "Martin Heidegger"<mh...@leichtgewicht.at>  wrote:
>
>> Hello Duane,
>>
>> I used to develop my "all flash" homepages in a way that I represented
>> all the data structure I accessed as HTML pages.
>> So I got all indexable content out with regular lists and content first.
>> Then I started with the Flash Homepage and built it
>> entirely on the content of the container homepage: Every Data "resource"
>> that I took I pulled of the same underlying system
>> including the html code. If I wanted a new "content" I had to add that
>> service to the html page. Then I looked that the links worked: So If you
>> browsed down to apage/acontent then it send the browser (with flash) to
>> a the index page with that url in the background:
>> mypage.com/#apage/acontent And the page used this as starting point.
>>
>> At the end of the day I had all index-able content available as HTML and
>> all visible content in the Flash. I used same mechanisms
>> parallel for ajax homepages and it worked out quite well.
>>
>> Do you think a discussion about a examples or a development model in
>> this direction would be reasonable?
>>
>> yours
>> Martin.
>>

>> On 28/02/2012 04:20, Duane Nickull wrote:
>>> It used to.  To understand how the system works, watch this video:
>>>

>>> http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2009/01/flash-search-engine-optimization.
>>> ht

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Hello Duane,

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
This is basically the exact method I've used in the past with great
success.

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by David Francis Buhler <da...@gmail.com>.
I think this is an excellent idea.

The ANT Task could replace user-defined tokens inside both the HTML pages
and .AS/MXML files for copy.

BTW:The older Flash Ford Sync website (2009?) had an alternative HTML
version that displayed the same content as the Flash Version (complete with
images and menu options). The Flash version ranked very well on Google as a
result.

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.
Jude:

On 12-02-28 10:06 AM, "jude" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Here is my comment [2].
>
>I think SEO search results come down to popularity. Is everyone linking to
>your page? It might have something to do with Google analytics. How long
>people stay on your page.

DN: Amen brother!  That is correct.

>But as a content creator I think it's up to the search engine to find and
>index my site. I'm not going to do the search engines job. It's their job
>to find my site and index it. That doesn't mean I won't help them.
DN: now you're two for two in my books.  They usually do this based on
everyone else linking.  The best way to force google to index a site is to
use blogger and build links.  Google owns blogger and it seems to work
much faster for indexing than other blog platforms.

>I think if we focused on making amazing Flash and Flex websites that
>people
>want to visit the search engine companies would spend more time on making
>their search engines work with it.
DN; now 3 for 3 in my books.

>Solutions
>€ Link Manager type of support with some or all of the below [3] [4] [5]
>€ Site map that has user URL and content URL
>€ Site map that has flash / ajax enabled URL, html page URL and content
>URL
>
>With both of the above solutions we could create or have a gui to create a
>sitemap.xml file that defines the fragments our apps listen for and the
>redirect links to get the raw content. We could also have the compiler or
>ant task support the creation of multiple HTML wrapper pages that are
>identical to the main wrapper page except in their name and / or the
>option
>of embedding the content into the page (if html) or if dynamic content it
>would point to a dynamic page.

DN: This is perhaps one of the first solid ideas I have heard. This might
involve extensions to the site map.xml (I haven't looked at it for a
while) but very well worth the time.  Being able to map to a page that has
state 1, state 2 and state 3, but 2 and 3 are not put into active memory
until the app is interacted with is problematic.  Authoring using the deep
linking is much better IMO as it adheres to the one resource <-> one URI
principle.

Now this comes back to the original question of "what can be done on this
list via the SDK?".  Being able to generate this artifact would be a good
idea IMO.

Thanks

Duane

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
A few years ago Google posted a proposal for making ajax crawlable [1].
You'll need to read it to get the details but basically if you used a
special URL it would return only the data result not the view. To quote,

In summary, starting with a stateful URL such as
http://example.com/dictionary.html#AJAX , it could be available to both
crawlers and users as
http://example.com/dictionary.html#!AJAX which could be crawled as
http://example.com/dictionary.html?_escaped_fragment_=AJAX which in turn
would be shown to users and accessed as
http://example.com/dictionary.html#!AJAX

End quote.

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.
On 12-02-27 6:35 PM, "David Francis Buhler" <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

>While I respect your opinion that my theory is factually wrong, I
>respectfully disagree. The cloaking theory I suggested is possible, and
>does not require a Google Appliance. If cloaking is a violation of
>Google's
>Terms, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
>
>[1]  http://www.petitiononline.com/stopee/petition.html
>[2]
>http://blog.tylerholmes.com/2008/10/experts-exchangeno-longer-cloaking-jus
>t.html
>[3]  http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66355

Let me clarify, I agree that technically what you suggest can work.  From
a business perspective though, Google says that what they index must be
the same as what people see on the current site.

Duane

Posted by David Francis Buhler <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.

Posted by David Francis Buhler <da...@gmail.com>.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:h2aRJSoLe1sJ:www.experts-exchange.com/Web_Development/Web_Languages-Standards/Flex/Q_27377143.html+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.
On 12-02-27 3:51 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

>I'm not saying the SDK will try to force anybody to use anything.  I just
>thought there were issues where folks want to have more control over what
>text is found in a SWF, what links are found in the SWF and what buttons
>get
>pushed.  I don't remember how Ichabod knew to push the buttons in
>FlexStore.

Ichabod was engineered to seek out alternate states and for other objects
in memory that were intractable with.  It was basically a headless flash
player that acted like a human, pushing every button, tab, etc. It then
stripped out anything that was textual.  A tab would then instantiate
itself and the data (text) would be available.

The problem with it was that despite a fairly good size engineering
effort, the search vendors basically didn't want it.  If you really want
to validate this, perhaps ask the search vendors themselves and ask them
what they would use.  Opinions of what they *might* want are pointless if
they don't use it.

Duane

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.

>I watched both videos.  I'm not sure why you think there isn't stuff that
>Flex can do better to assist in the better static indexing of content, and
>making the set links available to the search engines.  I thought there
>were
>things that Ichabod needed help with (like getting past authentication,
>finding its way through custom navigation because it sometimes misses
>buttons, ignoring some buttons).
DN: I have never seen any evidence of google using content it can access.
Same for Bing and Yahoo.  Flex can basically give it 500 words but for
starters Google only takes 200 per site in most cases.  They can all get
text today, but the reality is they don't appear to use it.  I am not sure
how you think an SDK will force them to use it.

As for Authentication, most pages that require authentication are probably
not mean to be indexed as the human finding the link to it would face the
same challenge.  What would be the point?

Since search engines can already get the text, what more would you think
they want?  To be frank here, most text is ignored anyways, regardless of
it being in HTML or SWF.

I'll ask Adobe if I can make some of the tests we ran public to help clear
things up.

duane

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/27/12 11:20 AM, "Duane Nickull" <du...@uberity.com> wrote:

> I honestly think that after watching these, you will all agree there is
> nothing that belongs on an SDK discussion list WRT SEO.  It is simply not
> needed.
I watched both videos.  I'm not sure why you think there isn't stuff that
Flex can do better to assist in the better static indexing of content, and
making the set links available to the search engines.  I thought there were
things that Ichabod needed help with (like getting past authentication,
finding its way through custom navigation because it sometimes misses
buttons, ignoring some buttons).

Also, please follow mailing list protocol and quote and comment instead of
top-posting.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/27/12 10:57 AM, "Omar Gonzalez" <om...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Left Right <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ... and white
>> text on white background with postion: absolute top -1000px has a better
>> chance to affect the crawler than that thing does...
>>

> That also has a high chance of getting you blacklisted off of search
> engines. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do this.

And, Oleg, while I agree that SWF metadata and HTML metadata and the current
SWF sniffer haven't been useful, I don't see any reason why folks can't make
another attempt at it.  Richer JS apps that don't keep fetching new HTML
pages have similar problems and I believe energy is being spent to solve it
there as well.

There was some discussion in Adobe about defining patterns to make it easier
to tie states to deep-linking.  A SWF sniffer could detect the existence of
that pattern to make them appear as links to a search engine.

Or, even something more brute force is possible where the compiler or some
tool has a mode where it will generate a site-map for you based on clues you
leave in your MXML.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.
No.  Google does not use metadata keywords.
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keyw
ords-meta-tag.html

You are basing your SEO discussion on a bunch of false assumptions.  To be
honest, I don't think this is even a conversation worth having unless you
want to talk about using data providers (which Google does use).

If you want to have this conversation, first do the research to understand
how dynamic SE ranking works.  The beliefs below have been outdated since
2002.

Posted by Ariel Jakobovits <ar...@yahoo.com>.
I think the aim would be to let the developer specify the search data in a properties file that gets compiled into the swf in a specified location with a specified format to avoid having to automatically convert the UI into meaningful search information.

Ariel Jakobovits
Email: arieljake@yahoo.com
Phone: 650-690-2213
Fax: 650-641-0031
Cell: 650-823-8699

________________________________
Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/26/12 11:44 AM, "Duane Nickull" <du...@uberity.com> wrote:

> Search engines have the technology to do this but do not use it. I ran
> some tests over an 18 month period.  This video shows the original
> FLashRunner

I would think they gave up because it didn't work well for Flex apps.  I
think it could be within the realm of this project to:

1) find ways to make it easy to sniff a SWF for searchable text
2) provide a tool to search engine companies to sniff the SWF.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: SEO for SWF Was: Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Duane Nickull <du...@uberity.com>.
Search engines have the technology to do this but do not use it. I ran
some tests over an 18 month period.  This video shows the original
FLashRunner

http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2009/01/flash-search-engine-optimization.ht
ml

This video explains in more details the results of the tests:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2009-envision/seo-secrets-technology-and-magi
c-behind-flash/

The basic premise is that Search engines basically only use content for
initial ranking.  Everything else is dynamic.  The above video explains
the mechanisms in more detail.

Duane Nickull

Posted by Ariel Jakobovits <ar...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.
Presentation interface of Flash and Flex interest precisely the prospects,
it's not interesting for a wide range of developers, who write code that
leverages client-server communication, data processing, physics, AI and
many many more. I, for once, being an AS3 programmer at my last job had to
deal purely with only the code that manages some video-peer-to-peer-chat
kind of thing, and the visual side of project never was in my real of
responsibility. However, the must-have visual side of thing (which in my
case was an ideal white screen 600x800 pixels) hindered the process a lot -
Flash player is creepily slow and unproductive when communicating outside.
On tests, you would often want to run 100 copies of the program, but maybe
even more... running so many flash players would be very unhealthy for the
system :)

And, yeah, like Omar Gonzalez says - testing. You may think about testing
as unimportant, but the larger the project is, the higher % of time it
spends in testing. In fact, a project with the development cycle of about a
year may spend 1-2 months in actual development, and the rest is testing.
Not being able to automatically register or send clicks to player is
maddening.

If, as I mentioned it before, the player could have been combined of two
parts, one being the runtime for the code, that expect callbacks from
another part for doing the rendering and piping in the input events - that
would be priceless, as someone (well, someone like me even!) could've
written a mock for the interaction API to send automatically generated
signals back and forth.
This is also where HTML wins on almost all positions - you can automate the
testing, the continuous integration, and make it all run automatically,
saving a lot of work hours for QA personnel...

Best.

Oleg

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Abdul Sattar <sa...@gmail.com>.
This was the historic statement made by Adobe to increase distribution.

To support the variety of Linux-based platforms across PCs and devices, we
> are prioritizing a Linux porting kit for AIR (including source code), which Open
> Screen Project <http://www.openscreenproject.org/partners/apply.html>(OSP) partners can use to complete implementations of AIR for Linux-based
> platforms on PCs, mobile devices, TVs and TV-connected devices.  We will no
> longer be releasing our own versions of Adobe AIR and the AIR SDK for
> desktop Linux, but expect that one or more of our partners will do so.

Not heard of any progress in this regard ever since. Does any body have any
information.

Abdul Sattar
(Director IT & Operations)
0321-6433805
www.powersoft.com.pk

RE: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>I totally buy that requirement.  And I think Mike Labriola at one time got some sort of commitment from Adobe for this particular use.  I know it was before the big 'change' but maybe he can comment on that.

There was rumor of allowing some use of AIR for Linux as part of the development kit but not actually having a production version... honestly, not much ever came of it. For flexunit we just run in a virtual frame buffer so we can be sort of headless. I had a prototype running on tamarin, which is great for business logic, but most people eventually try to test things that inherit from the UI layer of flash... so it becomes useless

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I totally buy that requirement.  And I think Mike Labriola at one time got
some sort of commitment from Adobe for this particular use.  I know it was
before the big 'change' but maybe he can comment on that.

-Nick

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I still don't know if I'm following what you really want..   I totally see
the want/need for AIR for Linux.  A compiler for Linux I see as even a
higher priority.  But from what I'm putting together, you want a
console-based flash player?

I can't picture how that fits in with Flex.  Flash (and Flex) is really a
presentation interface, and would be really silly without some sort of
graphical output (with the notable exception for mining the swf for data,
like what the search engine project was doing).  Now, if what you are
requesting is a command-line actionscript interface -- I see more use in
that.  In fact, didn't there used to be a quirky as2 console interface
apart of FCS?

-Nick

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 26/02/2012 02:26, Left Right wrote:
>> Are you really proposing a headless, or console-mode Flash Player for
> linux users?
>
> 1) It possibly exists (well, I'm 99% sure because Macromedia once released
> SEO SDK for processing SWFs, so, I'm guessing that's the starting point,
> besides, I could infer this indirectly through some testing results that
> leaked from Adobe bug base - things that suggested that the player was
> launched automatically and some other program gathered the statistics about
> it's performance).
> 2) If I'm mistaking, and it doesn't exist, making one would be priceless! :)
> 3) There is ECMAScript implementation of POSIX, I'm not sure of it's
> quality, but incorporating that into player would be an extra bonus.
> * I'm not saying users, because it may mean users who browse the internet.
> What I mean by "users" is people who are using Linux as a platform for
> development.

Redtamarin [1] is a extension for tamarin - headless AS3 if you want.

yours
Martin.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/redtamarin/

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 2/25/2012 12:26 PM, Left Right wrote:
> > Are you really proposing a headless, or console-mode Flash Player
> for linux users?
>
> 1) It possibly exists (well, I'm 99% sure because Macromedia once
> released SEO SDK for processing SWFs, so, I'm guessing that's the
> starting point, besides, I could infer this indirectly through some
> testing results that leaked from Adobe bug base - things that
> suggested that the player was launched automatically and some other
> program gathered the statistics about it's performance).

  It was named Ichabod!  ( Presumably for Ichabod Crane, The Headless
Horsemen).  Although as far as I knew it was never available publicly;
only to search engine partners.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/25/12 9:26 AM, "olegsivokon@gmail.com" <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are you really proposing a headless, or console-mode Flash Player for
> linux users?
>
> 1) It possibly exists (well, I'm 99% sure because Macromedia once released
> SEO SDK for processing SWFs, so, I'm guessing that's the starting point,
> besides, I could infer this indirectly through some testing results that
> leaked from Adobe bug base - things that suggested that the player was
> launched automatically and some other program gathered the statistics about
> it's performance).
> 2) If I'm mistaking, and it doesn't exist, making one would be priceless! :)
AIR can be run as a headless FlashPlayer, IIRC.  Or is it missing some
capability?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Left Right <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 2/25/2012 10:41 AM, Left Right wrote:
> Just because I'm being a prick, OSS != free. More yet, OSS does not imply
> free and free does not imply OSS.
  Technically you're right.  In the real world, most people--even
programmers equate Open Source with "Free and I can do whatever I want
with it."

  Technically you could say Flextras components are open source software
since the source is available.  But, people would complain when they
found out it wasn't free.  I think I was in the business for about 1
hour before I started using the phrasing "the source is available [for
purchase]" in response to the question  "Is it open source?"

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
In my case of Linux development -- these were for my own OSS project, not
my employers.  I've always had a command-line interface for my apps (these
are the ones I develop first), but because of the complexity of the
configurations, it was suggested I made an X-based GUI configuration tool.
 That was merely my assessment -- development of the GUI tools took MUCH
longer than anything else, and they kept breaking by the changing and
evolving standards in the Linux world.  And even when you set on a certain
framework, popular demands change so quickly that you have to re-write your
GUI tooling constantly.   Win32's are a pain, but they are very well
documented, and they have been consistent for at least the last 15 years
(although, I'm waiting to see what happens with WIn8).

Regarding the OSS != free, it is true in only one direction.  If I
open-source my software, it inherently become free.  The model of charging
for the app and getting the source really only works in a small, niche
market.  If I'm dealing with consumers (or linux developers in my case), if
the source is out there once, the source is out there forever, and it is
'free' to anybody who has a compiler.  That is, unless I hold back certain
modules or features (and sell those as blobs, in which case, it isn't
really Open-source...).  The really only successful model is to sell
support contracts,  which as a one-man shop becomes very hard to do.   Free
not giving an insinuation of open-source is a perfectly valid statement,
although in my experience in the Linux world, you get lambasted for trying
to give software out for free without the source.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
And to add little bit to the story -- Apple has also forced it's partners
(not just Adobe) to go through 3 MAJOR framework/architecture changes since
they released OSX only over 10 years ago.  First there was Aqua, then
Carbon, then Cocoa.  And it's not like Microsoft which doesn't really force
you to use their frameworks (like .NET); Apple actually depreciates support
for their older frameworks as time marches forward.  Try running a legacy
app written for Mac OSX 10.1 on Snow Leopard or Lion, or Mountain Lion.

If you've ever tried developing for Apple, the change from Carbon to Cocoa
was a HUGE change.  Thousands of APIs changed, and they completely
re-worked how you accessed certain bits of hardware.  While under the hood
Apple was doing this to support new processor architectures, they paid no
attention to legacy software.  Apple was constantly berating Adobe for not
upgrading all of their apps fast enough to Cocoa, when Adobe was able to do
it in a single release (this is why many of the CS4  apps didn't get many
new features -- they had to basically rewrite the UI for them for the Mac).
 The funny story is that some of Apple's own popular programs (like FCP and
iTunes) didn't get upgraded to Cocoa until much, much later than Adobe's
products (both FCP and iTunes got updated in the middle of last year, with
FCP having to drop a ton of features to be able to ship in time).

Additionally, Apple has been locking down more and of the raw APIs that
developers need to make great programs.  APIs that allow developers (and
partners like Adobe) to access the GPU to speed up video playback for
example, are exclusive to Apple.  There was a huge breakthrough about a
year ago when Apple opened up a single API that allowed Adobe to improve
the Flash Player to do hardware accelerated video -- which dropped the CPU
utilization from like 80% to 15% for HD video.  It is unknown if that API
will still be available in ML.  So, to say the ignored development for the
Flash Player is not exactlly correct -- Apple didn't really give them the
options to make the same kinds of updates that were available on the
Microsoft platform.

And as far as Linux goes -- I've said it before and I'll say it again on
this mailing list.  Developing for Linux for anything other than
console-based apps is a real pain in the rear.  Graphics drivers are a mess
(and generally unstable), the APIs are a moving target (nothing like apis
that whole-sale change each year).  These would be obstacles that could be
gotten around if the market wasn't so small, and so adverse to paying for
software (or for that manner, having something as closed-source).  Take a
look at the comments on the Flash Player packages -- people use them, but
hate to use them because they are closed source.  Just as many comments
complain that Adobe should make Photoshop for Linux, but they also say that
it should be OSS (free).   I personally have given up making GUIs for any
of my linux apps, in favor of light-weight HTML things that require the
browser.  Updating your app all the time because TCL changed, or gnome is
no longer popular, or KDE "jumped the shark and changed everything" is not
fun.  Just wasn't worth it for me.

Ok, enough early morning ranting ;)

-Nick

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
This is an interesting if familiar development.

<rant>
For many years Adobe ignored development of the Flash Player on the Mac
because it was not as big a market for them as Windows. They also were slow
to upgrade their other Adobe suite software for the same reason. Apple made
many requests (complaints) for them to upgrade and provide a good
experience for their users which they ignored. Now, years later is it the
reason Apple's decisions on Flash?

Now we see Adobe making the same decisions again but for Linux. Don't they
realize that Linux users are the most vocal on technology on the internet?
One Linux user makes more noise than 1000 other users! ;)

I think many of their products would be successful if they continued to
develop them and perfect them. In their own way it would show commitment,
stability and desire for quality.
</rant>

Posted by Maciek Sakrejda <m....@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Jason Gardner
<ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I echo your sentiments, Left Right!
>
> Being able to develop Flex applications on Linux is extremely important to
> me, and I'm happy to assist to that end in any way that I can.

+1 (Well, not on Left Right's pointless put-down of non-Linux OSes,
but if I can't develop on Linux, that definitely dampens my
already-worn enthusiasm for this platform)

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Jason Gardner <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Ong <ya...@gmail.com>.
I'm quite curious on audio part, "Improved audio support for working with
low-latency audio" what support will it be available?

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 22/02/2012 18:20, David Arno wrote:

I have been reading a little into it. At the beginning both Mozilla and
google were interested
in pursuing Pepper to resolve the NPAPI "mess". It seems like Mozilla
gave up its efforts[1].
PPAPI (Pepper Plugin API) is theoretically open source and free for
other platforms to integrate as
well but practically it seems to have become a part of the
NativeClient[2]. In other words: Firefox
would support the NativeClient if it would support Pepper. I guess that
is the main reason why they
drop the line there.

yours
Martin.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI:Pepper
[2] https://developers.google.com/native-client/reference/

Posted by "Dimitri k." <ko...@noos.fr>.
From: "Martin Heidegger" <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 22/02/2012 18:02, Mike Chambers wrote:
> We are not dropping Flash Player support for Linux. Indeed, we are partnering with Google to provide a more robust implementation and distribution method:
>
> http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html
>
> mike chambers

I think he was referring on AIR for Linux. Pepper is an important step
forwards!

However: the loss of AIR for Linux is a big one.

yours
Martin.

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.
We are not dropping Flash Player support for Linux. Indeed, we are partnering with Google to provide a more robust implementation and distribution method:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/02/adobe-and-google-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com<ma...@adobe.com>

On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Haykel BEN JEMIA wrote:

Adobe is dropping more and more its support for the Flash runtime on
Linux!! I think it is really time to switch from this technology and never
look back. What a shame!

Haykel

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/**flashplatform/whitepapers/**roadmap.html<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html>

Re: [OT] Flash Platform roadmap

Posted by Jason Batten <in...@jasonbatten.com>.
But why are they dropping support for Linux? Is it just a market share
thing?

Posted by Haykel BEN JEMIA <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Batten <in...@jasonbatten.com>.
"Flash is the game console for the web", them fighting words. Sounds
exciting.

But it looks like they are turning Flash Builder (I miss Flex Builder)
into a Game Development software tool, interesting. I thought that's
what Flash Professional is for. What is it with Adobe and developing
"dedicated" software. Indie game developers aren't going to buy 4 pieces
of software at $400 each.