Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Santosh Malviya <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/16 17:57:31 UTC

Generation of questions from pdf in survey

Hello list,

I have to generate questions from pdf in survey, for this I followed these
steps: -

(1) Created dataResource with mimeTypeId "application/pdf" and
dataResourceTypeId with  "image"( I tried it with survey  and surveyResponse
but it was giving error of not supporting)
(2) Uploaded a pdf in which I put data for surveyQuestions.
(3) Created a new content with contentTypeId "document" and then associated
the created dataResource to the content.
(4)  From surveyId tab I added pdf content id to the survey.
(5) Then I went to the questions tab under survey and tried to apply
questions from category drop-down(it shows name of       added content id)
but it does not show any questions from pdf after applying the selected
category.

Are these steps are correct or am I missing something.

Thanks and Regards
Santosh Malviya

Re: Generation of questions from pdf in survey

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.
How to do what with an HTML form?  Sounds like you're trying to get
html/text to generate or transmit a PDF, but I don't see how that would
work.  I was suggesting replacing the PDF form entirely with an HTML
version driven by a freemarker template.

Just create a simple application that uses a standard OFBiz form,
storing the survey results in a custom entity.  I'd start with one of
the 'build-an-ofbiz-app' tutorials (there are several) and just
customize the field name prompts in the freemarker template to fit the
questions that your survey needs.  The entity field names for example
could be SurveyId, Q1, Q2, ... Qn, if the form is short, or "SurveyId",
UserID", "QueryId", and "QueryResponse" for something longer.

--
Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>
RidgeCrest Herbals, Inc.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
the way I read matts reply, is you have to take it out of the pdf before
you enter it into ofbiz. then he gave reasons why this is the case.
which is, if you try to use a pdf, the responses will not be recorded
into ofbiz, but will be done on the users desktop. this would require
you to then provided a whay for the user to upload the pdf.

My perspective:
This would not be ofbiz survey but a seperate pages you created in ftl
with the pdfs linked to where the images are in ofbiz.
the page would have a link to upload the pdf, once completed, into a
folder on ofbiz.

Santosh Malviya sent the following on 7/16/2010 10:40 PM:

Posted by Santosh Malviya <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Matt,

Posted by Matt Warnock <mw...@ridgecrestherbals.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
you can do this through the UI, however I find loading datafiles, like
in the demo data the easiest way.
you find these files in the
specialpurpose/ecommerce/data
look at the demosurvey.xml

Santosh Malviya sent the following on 7/16/2010 11:13 AM:

Posted by Santosh Malviya <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello BJ,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.