Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Stefan Düring <du...@zib.de> on 2017/05/04 07:59:59 UTC

[Studio] Subsequent input of connection password

I'm using Apache Directory Studio Version: 2.0.0.v20161101-M12 in Ubuntu
16.04 LTS.
I changed language to german.

I save connection password in a keystore with master password.
In a connection I select "Simple authentication" and "Save password".

Now when I open a connection to a LDAP server I have to enter first the
master password and then the password to access the LDAP.

I expected to be authenticated until I close the connection or the
Studio, but from time to time I have to enter the connection password
again when I change to another object in LDAP tree or to a search.

Is there a "session timeout" or another setting to remember the
authentication until the session ends ?

Stefan

Re: [Studio] Subsequent input of connection password

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 04/05/2017 à 16:20, Black, Douglas a écrit :
> I use Directory Studio to authenticate to an eDirectory (v8.8) tree and an Active Directory (2008R2) domain forest.
>
> 1. I create a new LDAP connection, providing my user name and password.  I check the 'save password' box.
> 2. Under Window > Preferences > Apache Directory Studio > Connections > Passwords Keystore, I click "Store connection passwords" and provide a master password (different from my authentication passwords) when prompted.
>
> With the previous version of Directory Studio, I had to provide the keystore password the first time I tried to open an LDAP connection, but after that I was never prompted again.  With this version, even though I am using the password keystore, I am prompted to re-authenticate, as I said, every few minutes.  This happens both with eDirectory and Active Directory.

Ok, now I get it.

The latest version added a feature, allowing users to store the
connection passwords in a keystore in order to avoid having those
passwords stored in the XML file containing the connectioninformation in
clear text.

I have configured Studio so that it uses this feature. Give me a bit of
time to see if it asks me for the keystore password.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [Studio] Subsequent input of connection password

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 04/05/2017 à 16:20, Black, Douglas a écrit :
> I use Directory Studio to authenticate to an eDirectory (v8.8) tree and an Active Directory (2008R2) domain forest.
>
> 1. I create a new LDAP connection, providing my user name and password.  I check the 'save password' box.
> 2. Under Window > Preferences > Apache Directory Studio > Connections > Passwords Keystore, I click "Store connection passwords" and provide a master password (different from my authentication passwords) when prompted.
>
> With the previous version of Directory Studio, I had to provide the keystore password the first time I tried to open an LDAP connection, but after that I was never prompted again.  With this version, even though I am using the password keystore, I am prompted to re-authenticate, as I said, every few minutes.  This happens both with eDirectory and Active Directory.

Note that you can check if teh nightly build fixes the issue by
downloading a version here :

https://builds.apache.org/job/dir-studio/lastStableBuild/

WARNING : this is clearly NOT an official build !!!

--

Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

RE: [Studio] Subsequent input of connection password

Posted by "Black, Douglas" <Do...@osumc.edu>.
Thanks for confirming my experience.  Is there any word on when M13 will be released?  Is there any reason I should not revert to M8 until then?

Thanks,

Doug Black
doug.black@osumc.edu

Le 04/05/2017 à 16:20, Black, Douglas a écrit :
> I use Directory Studio to authenticate to an eDirectory (v8.8) tree and an Active Directory (2008R2) domain forest.
>
> 1. I create a new LDAP connection, providing my user name and password.  I check the 'save password' box.
> 2. Under Window > Preferences > Apache Directory Studio > Connections > Passwords Keystore, I click "Store connection passwords" and provide a master password (different from my authentication passwords) when prompted.
>
> With the previous version of Directory Studio, I had to provide the keystore password the first time I tried to open an LDAP connection, but after that I was never prompted again.  With this version, even though I am using the password keystore, I am prompted to re-authenticate, as I said, every few minutes.  This happens both with eDirectory and Active Directory.

I think it's already fixed, see
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_DIRSTUDIO-2D1130&d=DwIFaQ&c=k9MF1d71ITtkuJx-PdWme51dKbmfPEvxwt8SFEkBfs4&r=9lyckcM6ZhJLsBO8S-PrSIMUchQ_vFPG0h87-ifHH1k&m=Z1axRxu6ri8KPlmOG4IDx2d68WbWwI6ys1HNYeEE6YY&s=CS5qHt5F5CSZ1P2Jb2Aaw-xFH5wBROFMx1_zhbsYZrA&e= . This will be available in M13.

Stefan, can you confirm ?

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [Studio] Subsequent input of connection password

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 05/05/2017 08:15 AM, Stefan Düring wrote:
> Thanks Emmanuel, I installed the snapshot and the first try was like
> expected:
>
> I just have to enter the master password and don't have to
> re-authenticate with an user password again.

Just another warning that the snapshot is not an official release, and
especially currently the Studio snapshot uses ApacheDS and LDAP API
snapshots, so it's rather unpredictable which code your run.

> Am 04.05.2017 um 18:04 schrieb Emmanuel Lécharny:
>>
>> Le 04/05/2017 à 16:20, Black, Douglas a écrit :
>>> I use Directory Studio to authenticate to an eDirectory (v8.8) tree
>>> and an Active Directory (2008R2) domain forest.
>>>
>>> 1. I create a new LDAP connection, providing my user name and
>>> password.  I check the 'save password' box.
>>> 2. Under Window > Preferences > Apache Directory Studio > Connections
>>> provide a master password (different from my authentication
>>> passwords) when prompted.
>>>
>>> With the previous version of Directory Studio, I had to provide the
>>> keystore password the first time I tried to open an LDAP connection,
>>> but after that I was never prompted again.  With this version, even
>>> though I am using the password keystore, I am prompted to
>>> re-authenticate, as I said, every few minutes.  This happens both
>>> with eDirectory and Active Directory.
>> I think it's already fixed, see
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1130. This will be
>> available in M13.
>>
>> Stefan, can you confirm ?

I guess you meant me? Yes it is fixed. I'll send another mail about
release plans...

Kind Regards,

Posted by Stefan Düring <du...@zib.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Black, Douglas" <Do...@osumc.edu>.

Le 04/05/2017 à 09:59, Stefan Düring a écrit :
> I'm using Apache Directory Studio Version: 2.0.0.v20161101-M12 in
> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
> I changed language to german.
>
> I save connection password in a keystore with master password.
> In a connection I select "Simple authentication" and "Save password".
>
> Now when I open a connection to a LDAP server I have to enter first
> the master password and then the password to access the LDAP.
>
> I expected to be authenticated until I close the connection or the
> Studio, but from time to time I have to enter the connection password
> again when I change to another object in LDAP tree or to a search.
>
> Is there a "session timeout" or another setting to remember the
> authentication until the session ends ?

I would say it depends on your server configuration. If you keep the connection open for a very long time, it's likely that the socket get automatically closed by the underlying OS.

Otherwise, there is no such thing as a connection timeout, beside the timeout we have when a request is sent and the client is waiting for a response - but this timeout does not close the connection, t just aborts the operation -.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [Studio] Subsequent input of connection password

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.