Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by "mrisaliti@libero.it" <mr...@libero.it> on 2008/01/02 17:19:46 UTC

Input type="text" on IE6

I have done some tests on Internet Explorer 6 with OFBiz and I have seen that there are a lot of css property are not correclty interpreted by IE.
For example if you have a form with an input type="text" then IE6 does not consider general rules like this:

input[type="text"] {
background-color: #ffffff;
border: #999999 solid 0.1em;
font-size: 1.1em;
margin: 0.2em;
padding: 0.1em 0 0.1em 0;
}

and so the input text will be without the border and it's very ugly.
If you set into a input box a fixed class reference it will be working correctly but only if its specified alone.

input[type="text"], input[type="password"], .inputBox {
/* inputBox is deprecated */
background-color: #ffffff;
border: #999999 solid 0.1em;
font-size: 1.1em;
margin: 0.2em;
padding: 0.1em 0 0.1em 0;
}

<input type="text" class="inputBox" value="test1">

In this case IE6 does not recognize multiple properties into the CSS.
Instead if they will be alone IE6 will be recognize it and use it.

.inputBox {
/* inputBox is deprecated */
background-color: #ffffff;
border: #999999 solid 0.1em;
font-size: 1.1em;
margin: 0.2em;
padding: 0.1em 0 0.1em 0;
}

<input type="text" class="inputBox" value="test1">

But I did not like to set the class inputBox to all the input type="text".
So I have done some research on internet and I have found a javascript library open source that support all the features of IE7 on IE5-6.
I have tested the library of Dean Edwards (http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/usage) inside OFBiz and it's working correctly.
It's enough to include this link (<set field="layoutSettings.javaScripts[]" value="/images/IE7_0_9/ie7-standard-p.js" global="true"/>) into the GlobalDecorator of CommonScreens.xml
This library is LGPL and I didn't know if it can be included into OFBiz or it must be out of the box.
This library solve most of incompatibility to CSS of IE6.

What did you think of include it into OFBiz ?

Thanks
Marco

Re: Input type="text" on IE6

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Marco,

The consensus at the time was that OFBiz back office applications would support the latest
standards-compliant browsers, and not worry so much about support for older browsers. If the screens
render properly with Firefox 2 and IE 7, then we're in good shape.

-Adrian