Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2005/05/12 09:25:17 UTC

moving code from sandbox to proper - best practice?

Hi,

The "moving from sandbox to proper" wiki page needs updating, as it is
all CVS based.

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MovingFromSandboxToProper

The main question that needs resolving is:
 * should the code be MOVED from sandbox to proper, or COPIED?

Moving the code means that links to the old location break. But copying
the code means that links to the old stuff don't give any indication
that the main development is now happening elsewhere.

What do people think the best practice is for sandbox->proper promotion?

I think my preference would be
 * move the existing code to {proj}/tags/sandbox
 * copy to {proj}/trunk
 * create a new sandbox/{proj} directory, containing just a README
   that points to the new project.

That way, all the sandbox code vanishes from its old location, avoiding
any confusion. But users of the sandbox stuff at least get a hint where
the new stuff is.

The main disadvantage is clutter left in the sandbox directory.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Simon

Re: moving code from sandbox to proper - best practice?

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

I wanted to start the move of VFS from sandbox to proper and wasnt aware
that these questions are not solved yet.

>The main question that needs resolving is:
> * should the code be MOVED from sandbox to proper, or COPIED?

I would like to tag the current sandbox to /tags/sandbox ...
>I think my preference would be
> * move the existing code to {proj}/tags/sandbox

... and then MOVE it to proper.

> * create a new sandbox/{proj} directory, containing just a README
>   that points to the new project.

I guess the last statement was not to leave any clutter.
I do not have any strong preferences here, but I think this README is
not needet as a active developer knows whats going on.

Should I copy the page
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MovingFromSandboxToProper to
MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN and record all my steps there?

---
Mario