Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by Jon Malkin <jm...@apache.org> on 2020/01/17 04:34:28 UTC

mailing list vs git/jira issues

I'm working on a C++ sketch and trying to make sure I'm handling memory
properly. In the debugging process, I noticed that serde.hpp uses placement
new in deserialize(), without allowing for a custom allocator (which it
seems needs to implement construct(), not just allocate().)

This is a very specific question related to the C++ implementation; I'd
usually not think of sending it out to the entire dev@ list, favoring a
discussion more localized to the specific repo. But maybe, at least while
trying to build a community and promote activity on the list, it's worth
trying to have such conversations on the list?

  jon

Re: mailing list vs git/jira issues

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
Usually I see the pattern is to encourage the discussion in mailing list.
As you said that shows how active the community is for both existing
community members as well as external potential contributors. Once the
mailing list is growing to an unmanageable phase, the community starts to
discuss about splitting by component(hadoop to hdfs, yarn), language(flink
adds user-zh), message types(separate PRs, JIRAs to dedicate lists).

Same idea goes to JIRA, usually at ASF most of the projects use JIRA for
issue tracking. It's a centralized place for people to see what currently
community is paving towards; how many issues/features are opened/closed;
and most importantly, what issue I can help on and become a contributor.

Evans

Jon Malkin <jo...@gmail.com> 於 2020年1月18日 週六 上午4:46寫道:

Posted by Jon Malkin <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.