Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net> on 2004/08/09 01:48:31 UTC

Billing Contact:
    Undisclosed
    Undisclosed        (Undisclosed@Undisclosed.com)
    Undisclosed
    null,123456
    IN
    Tel. +91.1111111

RE: Is this a sign of a spammer registrar?

Posted by "David J. Duffner - NWCWEB.com" <we...@nwcweb.com>.
	Not necessarily a spammer Registrar, but certainly
one that shouldn't be allowed to register and maintain
domains!  Looks more like their systems allow someone
to punch in anything that looks remotely close to a
valid answer and then that gets propagated into the
networks.

	In this case the domain, which may be at an HSP
or at least has it's own DNS on that server, is at a
host who certainly allows spammy stuff to fly.

	Best course of action is to do a traceroute
on the IP you ended up with and see if it leads you to
any clues on who this domain is registered to.  Also
snap a nice nastygram to 'Directi', though that'll go
unanswered or have a reply like 'not our problem,
have a nice day'.  You can file a complaint with ICANN
on it, wouldn't hurt, but again it takes a large stream
of complaints to them about a Registrar to get any
movement.

	Any the whole thing coud be a smokescreen for a
forged IP anyways, which makes all the work pointless.

	Sorry there isn't a better answer, we've been
fighting them off like mad lately too! Starting to see
a rash of completely blank and half-filled header e-mails
with no easy tracebacks and no way to block them out.

      David J. Duffner
      VP Operations
      NWC Corporation
      NWCWEB.com

NWCWEB.com - Your Design & Hosting Solution!
Featuring Ensim Pro/Linux Servers, Hosted
Accounts, Web Design and e-Commerce services
NWC Corporation - Global e-Pay Solutions