Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bluewin.ch> on 2004/10/08 19:06:35 UTC

RE: [HttpClient] getting the http connection or setting the param s

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 17:41, Gustavo Hexsel wrote:
>   Hi Michael,
>
>   thanks for the prompt answer.
>
>   By connection params I meant the HttpConnection.setParams().  I saw the
> javadoc for that class, and it states that if I set SO_TIMEOUT there, it
> will change the value for open sockets as well.  If I just set the method
> parameters, by calling HttpBaseMethod.setParams(), it will change the
> parameter only when opening new sockets.

Gustavo,
This is not the case. HttpClient resets SO_TIMEOUT every time the
connection is obtained from the connection manager, because the
connection can be still left open ('alive') and may contain an arbitrary
SO_TIMEOUT value set by the previous method.

When SO_TIMEOUT is defined at the HTTP method, the method value is used,
otherwise, default value defined at the HTTP connection/connection
manager level is used.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/3.0/xref/org/apache/commons/httpclient/HttpMethodDirector.html#379

Oleg