Posted to users@rave.apache.org by Gonzalo Aguilar Delgado <ga...@aguilardelgado.com> on 2013/11/08 11:42:30 UTC

About Shindig and Wookie

Hello,

I'm using rave since long time ago. And I found wookie integration quite
useful for me.

I've found Shinding also a curious project that is advancing faster than
wookie. But I don't understand the existence of this two projects and
their relation to rave cause they seem to solve same problem from
different perspective.

Shindig looks to me like wookie + social.

What's the difference?

I don't see really much difference apart of widget(gadget) definition
format.

Wookie: "Wookie is based on the W3C Widgets specification, but widgets
can also be included that use extended APIs such as Google Wave Gadgets
and OpenSocial."

Shiding:*"Gadget Container JavaScript:* core JavaScript foundation for
general gadget functionality (read more about gadget functionality
<http://code.google.com/apis/gadgets/docs/dev_guide.html>). This
JavaScript manages security, communication, UI layout, and feature
extensions, such as the OpenSocial API."

Okay. Shindig provides the social api. Great. But if we take this apart.
What's the difference?

Both seems to support igoogle like functionality, with the help of rave,
of course.

Is this feature a duplicate one?

I think I can make my widget (gadget) work in both platform, but since,
they are not "social" I did it on wookie. Should I switch to shindig?

Best regards,

Re: About Shindig and Wookie

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
The primary use case for Wookie is W3C widgets and Shindig renders
OpenSocial gadgets.  It does support an older version of OpenSocial (I
believe by including Shindig code).  There are a lot of really cool
features in both systems, but in my mind it boils down to what
specification you want to use.  If you like packaging widgets and uploading
them to a server, Wookie is the right choice.  If you want the OpenSocial
APIs, Shindig is the logical option.

There are representatives from both communities in Rave, so they can expand
but Rave's goal is to generically support whatever widget framework you
prefer.