Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Glassman, Matthew S" <gl...@hsrc.unc.edu> on 2021/10/01 22:18:12 UTC

Kafka Quickstart Needs Update. Java 8 Deprecation?

Hello folks,

As a course I'm involved with has us using the quickstart on the kafka website, it seems that the instructions for creating a topic are in need of an update.  As they are currently written, a user will receive an error on linux stating that they are missing required parameter --partitions.  If they add that, they will then receive an error stating that the command is missing required parameter --replications-factor.  After that the command still won't work unless the --topic <topic name> is in the last position from my experience.

It was mentioned that the latest version of Kafka deprecates the need for Java 8 and yet the quickstart instructions state that users will need Java 8.   Can someone explain to me in what usage Java 8 is deprecated as the two statements seem at odd with each other.

Matthew Glassman

Re: Kafka Quickstart Needs Update. Java 8 Deprecation?

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthew,

The justification for the deprecation is explained in KIP-750

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/P4vOCg

If you are referring to this page below, you can document what works for
you and the changes you made to get it to work and then send in a pull
request

https://kafka.apache.org/quickstart

You can follow the guidelines here to set up the website locally for
validation before sending in your pull request for the site docs changes

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Setup+Kafka+Website+on+Local+Apache+Server

If you are still on Java 8, I would recommend switching to 17 LTS or 11 LTS
if 17 is not possible prior to running the quickstart

I hope this helps

Thank you in advance for your contribution.