Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2022/12/14 09:13:11 UTC

[DRAFT] December Board Report

Hi all,

I just wrote our board report … hope I didn’t miss anything. Please provide feedback, If you have something:

The mission of the Apache PLC4X project is creating a set of libraries for
communicating with industrial programmable logic controllers (PLCs) using a
variety of protocols but with a shared API.

## Issues:
There are currently no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache PLC4X was founded 2019-04-17 (4 years ago)
There are currently 21 committers and 13 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was César García on 2021-10-01.
- Jinlin Hong was added as committer on 2022-11-02

## Project Activity:
We finished our work on some of the refactoring and streamlining of our APIs
and are now sort of going back to a normal more of activity. Also are we
seeing a broad set of initiatives currently being worked on:
- Profinet Drivers
- Major update of the ADS driver
- The PLC4Rust and PLC4Py initiatives are continuing
- We're doing some onboarding work for some of the new contributors that
  showed up over the last few months.

We did notice that our usage of JavaFX in one of our new tools (only
contained in the 0.10.0 and still in Beta state there) is actually not ok
since JavaFX was removed from the JDK itself. We'll be replacing this with a
technology which is compatible with the ASF rules as soon as possible or we'll
be removing it if there is no short-term solution for this problem.

Recent releases:
- 0.10.0 was released on 2022-10-06
- 0.9.1 was released on 2021-12-17

## Community Health:
Since we switched from Jira to GitHub Issues, we are seeing a significant
uptake on activity coming in from new folks. The project is doing its best to
encourage them to submit pull requests and mentoring them to be able to do so.
At least 3 new contributors have shown up in the last few months.

In parallel, we have started an initiative together with some friends from the
IoTDB project, to do some initial kick-off work for building an open-source
and Apache Historian solution, which would less be a tool or framework, but
more a product intended for the automation industry. Hoping on some increased
interest and activity based on that.

So far, we're happy how the project is evolving, and we hope to be able
to invite more people into comittership soon.

Will submit this in 2 or 3 days.

Chris

Re: [DRAFT] December Board Report

Posted by Lukas Ott <ot...@gmail.com>.