Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Kerr Rainey <ke...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/13 14:43:45 UTC

Docker

Hi All,

I’ve not looked at CouchDB for a long time and it’s great to see 2.0 getting a bit of movement. Fantastic job everyone!

I’ve been messing about with CouchDB in docker and have a few questions.

I see that there is a dockerfile in the main apache/couchdb repo as well as everything in the apache/couchdb-docker repo. Both have been updated recently. Do they have different defined purposes? I can see the actual differences, but I’m wondering what the plan is here.

With regard to the apache/couchdb-docker repo, at a glance it looks identical to the klaemo/docker-couchdb  "🐳Source of the official Apache CouchDB Docker image” repo. I’m a little hazy on the github details here in terms of forks and how these are linked. Clearly Clemens is doing the bulk (all?) of the work here (great job, thanks), and the activity seems to happening “over there”. I notice also that the request to docker-library/official-images for the official CouchDB Docker images point to klaemo/docker-couchdb. This seems a little confusing to me. Am I missing something? Planed, just not there yet?

Finally, obviously there are many scenarios for dockerizing couchdb, and it looks like the current dev one is geared to testing out a little cluster, which is probably what we need right now. For production I suspect that it would rarely be a good idea to have more than one CouchDB server running in a single container. Presumably we could explore some good patterns for production deployments of couchdb in docker and have those images readily available.

I’m actually having a problem running klaemo/couchdb:2.0-dev image, failing to start because of a connection error [Errno 111] while running cluster setup (not the expected error when check nodes). I’ve not dug into it yet, but please shout if it’s a known issue.

Cheers
Kerr

--
Kerr Rainey

Re: Docker

Posted by Kerr Rainey <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,  Clemens,

Thanks for the replies, glad to hear that it all seems to be in hand and moving the right direction :)

Regarding the issue I was having, it’s exactly the one that you, Clemens, had in the linked github issue. I’ll try messing with the vm settings and see if that helps. Assuming that works, it would be interesting if we could detect that in the cluster setup and display a message that would point people in the right direction.

Cheers
Kerr

--
Kerr Rainey