Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2004/03/02 22:51:57 UTC

JDK 1.5 is out, and it breaks Maven

Thanks to the new JDK 1.5 installer, the default location to install both the
runtime and the developer kit is within the %PROGRAM_FILES% directory.  That
means a space is in the path to the "java" command no matter how you slice it.

The current "maven" script for Cygwin compatibility does not properly handle
this arrangement--because it never had to until now.  The proper way to solve
the issue is to add surrounding quotes to the $JAVACMD that starts up maven.
Enclosed is a script that works.

Also a problem is that the defaults on the "javac" compiler are different, and
the fact that we set the "-target" option without specifying the "-source"
option means that all compilation will fail with the following message:

javac: source release 1.4 requires target release 1.4

The default "-source" option is "1.4" for JDK 1.5, which means you need a
"-target" of "1.4".  Actually, unless you intend to have Java 1.1 compatible
binaries, the "-target" option should never be set.

As a temperary workaround, how do we override the "-source" property in
Maven?

Re: JDK 1.5 is out, and it breaks Maven

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> As a temperary workaround, how do we override the "-source" property in
> Maven?

Ok, I found the answer to my own question:

maven.compile.source
maven.compile.target

Thanks.