Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Schuetz, Paul (EXTERN: DOS)" <ex...@volkswagen.de> on 2013/02/27 15:08:27 UTC

Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log

Hello,

I am trying to get up and running a simple application under an IBM WAS 8.0. My application consist of an simple jsf file and a bean used as an actionlistener for a button inside the jsf.
On pushing the button the bean should just log using commons-logging. I am using WAS 8.0 own adaptation of myfaces and commons-logging. The complete stack trace as it is:

[2/27/13 14:46:12:644 CET] 00000008 AbstractFaces E   An error occured while initializing MyFaces: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log
                                 org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:532)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:272)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:414)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.<init>(Digester.java:308)
        at org.apache.myfaces.config.impl.digester.DigesterFacesConfigUnmarshallerImpl.<init>(DigesterFacesConfigUnmarshallerImpl.java:42)
        at org.apache.myfaces.config.DefaultFacesConfigurationProvider.getUnmarshaller(DefaultFacesConfigurationProvider.java:93)
        at org.apache.myfaces.config.DefaultFacesConfigurationProvider.getStandardFacesConfig(DefaultFacesConfigurationProvider.java:131)
        at org.apache.myfaces.config.DefaultFacesConfigurationMerger.getFacesConfigData(DefaultFacesConfigurationMerger.java:69)
        at org.apache.myfaces.config.FacesConfigurator.configure(FacesConfigurator.java:456)
        at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.AbstractFacesInitializer.buildConfiguration(AbstractFacesInitializer.java:313)
        at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.Jsp21FacesInitializer.initContainerIntegration(Jsp21FacesInitializer.java:73)
        at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.AbstractFacesInitializer.initFaces(AbstractFacesInitializer.java:136)
        at org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextListener.contextInitialized(StartupServletContextListener.java:111)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.notifyServletContextCreated(WebApp.java:1680)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppImpl.initialize(WebAppImpl.java:410)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroupImpl.addWebApplication(WebGroupImpl.java:88)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.VirtualHostImpl.addWebApplication(VirtualHostImpl.java:169)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WSWebContainer.addWebApp(WSWebContainer.java:749)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WSWebContainer.addWebApplication(WSWebContainer.java:634)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.component.WebContainerImpl.install(WebContainerImpl.java:422)
        at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.component.WebContainerImpl.start(WebContainerImpl.java:714)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.start(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:1160)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.fireDeployedObjectStart(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:1369)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.start(DeployedModuleImpl.java:639)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.start(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:967)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.startApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:766)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.start(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:2153)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.start(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:445)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitImpl.start(CompositionUnitImpl.java:123)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.start(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:388)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.access$500(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:116)
        at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl$CUInitializer.run(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:994)
        at com.ibm.wsspi.runtime.component.WsComponentImpl$_AsynchInitializer.run(WsComponentImpl.java:349)
        at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1690)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:416)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:525)
        ... 33 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:412)
        ... 34 more

I read on the FAQ the similar problem but with log4j logger is common and that you'd like to be contacted in similar cases. If you wish I can provide the sample ear (including sources) so you can reproduce the error.
The class loader settings are set as follow:

EAR - PARENT_LAST
WAR - PARENT_LAST

Ich wende mich im Rahmen des zwischen der Volkswagen AG und der DOS Software-Systeme GmbH bestehenden Vertragsverhältnisses an Sie.
Wenn Sie weitere Fragen haben sollten, können Sie sich jederzeit an mich oder an Herrn Hans-Juergen Flaegel  wenden.
Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Paul Schütz
DOS Software-Systeme GmbH
Amtsgericht Göttingen HRB 112345
Gerichtsstand Hann. Münden
Geschäftsführer: Rolf Bilstein, Axel Köppen
St-Nr.: 2020038050

Re: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Schuetz, Paul (EXTERN: DOS) <
extern.paul.schuetz@volkswagen.de> wrote:

> [...]
>         at
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:416)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:525)
>         ... 33 more
> Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log
>         at
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:412)
>         ... 34 more
>
> I read on the FAQ the similar problem but with log4j logger is common and
> that you'd like to be contacted in similar cases. If you wish I can provide
> the sample ear (including sources) so you can reproduce the error.
> The class loader settings are set as follow:

Hi Paul,

yes, please create an issue and attach the ear to it.

Thanks,

Thomas

Re: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi Paul,

Schuetz, Paul (EXTERN: DOS) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get up and running a simple application under an IBM WAS
> 8.0. My application consist of an simple jsf file and a bean used as an
> actionlistener for a button inside the jsf. On pushing the button the bean
> should just log using commons-logging. I am using WAS 8.0 own adaptation
> of myfaces and commons-logging. The complete stack trace as it is:
>
> [2/27/13 14:46:12:644 CET] 00000008 AbstractFaces E   An error occured
> [while initializing MyFaces:
> [org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> [org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
> [org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog does not implement Log

[snip]

This is unfortunately a typical sign, that the app server itself has
commons-logging in its system classpath and another one is somewhere in your
EAR/WAR. WHat happens if you do *not* provide commons-logging?

- Jörg