Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "York, William" <Wi...@maxtor.com> on 2005/09/07 22:11:00 UTC

Best VSS to SVN product to use?

All,

            I have browsed the archives and have found the 3 different
VSS2SVN scripts available at tigris.org.  The one thing I wasn't able to
find was a recommendation on which product will best convert our
repository with the history intact .  It looks like vss2svn is in a
alpha state with development stopped in mid August, vss2svnmigrate
doesn't keep history and vss2svn2 has the following line "Please see
vss2svn <http://vss2svn.tigris.org/>  for a much more mature but less
complete migration tool." This  really doesn't provide any clear
guidance on if vss2svn or vss2svn2 will give me what I need.  I was
wondering what the users experience is with these tools.  The sooner we
can move this code from VSS into SVN the better.  ;-)

Thanks,

  Bill.

Re: Best VSS to SVN product to use?

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    William> All, I have browsed the archives and have found the 3
    William>             different VSS2SVN scripts available at
    William>             tigris.org.  The one thing I wasn’t able to
    William>             find was a recommendation on which product
    William>             will best convert our repository with the
    William>             history intact .  It looks like vss2svn is in
    William>             a alpha state with development stopped in mid
    William>             August, vss2svnmigrate doesn’t keep history
    William>             and vss2svn2 has the following line “Please
    William>             see vss2svn for a much more mature but less
    William>             complete migration tool.” This really doesn’t
    William>             provide any clear guidance on if vss2svn or
    William>             vss2svn2 will give me what I need.  I was
    William>             wondering what the users experience is with
    William>             these tools.  The sooner we can move this
    William>             code from VSS into SVN the better.  ;-)

    William> Thanks,

    William>   Bill.

I only saw one reference on the subversion page: to
http://vss2svn.tigris.org/.  I used that successfully to convert about
3,000 revisions.  There were two problems:

* Despite a warning in the documentation, I forgot to "unghost" some
  folders, and that caused it to fail.  Once I did that, it worked.

* A few of the log messages are full of garbage, but the garbage is (I
  think) appended to the legitimate content, so it's merely an annoyance.

--
Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music
by David Cassidy.

Re: Best VSS to SVN product to use?

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
York, William wrote:

> All,
>

>             I have browsed the archives and have found the 3 different
> VSS2SVN scripts available at tigris.org.  The one thing I wasn't able
> to find was a recommendation on which product will best convert our
> repository with the history intact .  It looks like vss2svn is in a
> alpha state with development stopped in mid August, vss2svnmigrate
> doesn't keep history and vss2svn2 has the following line "Please see
> vss2svn <http://vss2svn.tigris.org/> for a much more mature but less
> complete migration tool." This  really doesn't provide any clear
> guidance on if vss2svn or vss2svn2 will give me what I need.  I was
> wondering what the users experience is with these tools.  The sooner
> we can move this code from VSS into SVN the better.  ;-)

If possible (meaning you have Perl and the appropriate modules installed
or can install them) use the latest version of vss2svn from the
repository. I was the original author of that program and have decided
to take a completely different approach that hopefully will work out
better (eventually).

In the meantime some users have contributed many fixes that I never got
around to "releasing" but which are in the "0.3-bugfix" branch. This
includes the issue where some commit messages get trashed. It also
allows you to restart if it fails in the middle, which is a *big*
headache solver if it fails after running for 12 hours. :)

I can't really speak to the "vss2svn2" project; I don't think they've
worked on it in a while. If you have more specific questions about
vss2svn before migrating, please go ahead and use that mailing list.