Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jay Hahn-Steichen <pe...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/08 07:50:04 UTC

Anyone try to run cloudstack on google cloud?

All:

Has anyone succeeded in getting cloudstack to operate on google cloud.
A couple of months ago google cloud announced support of nested
virtualization.

I have gotten a quick install to work -- the two system VMs are up and
running.  It fails when I attempt to add a template evidently because
the SSVM cannot communicate with the MS to pick up the NFS share (lots
of repeated messages in SSVM cloud.log to that effect).

Does anyone have any experience with google cloud networking and can
give a suggestion?  Clearly using the default network on eth0 isn't
cutting it.

--jay hahn-steichen

Re: Anyone try to run cloudstack on google cloud?

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Jay,

Don’t think anyone is working on this, most people in the CloudStack community run on premise. You also have to take into account what kind of networking is on offer from Google, AWS and so on. If you ran your guest isolation over Layer3 (i.e. basic zones and possibly some SDN overlay) you may get this to work – but you would still have to take control of the IP ranges being offered in each Google/AWS availability zone such that you could consume these in the nested CloudStack environment. Layer2 advanced zones (VLANs) is probably going to be a big no-no, I can’t see any cloud provider letting you have control of L2 unless you have dedicated networking (e.g. Direct Connect?).

So – ultimately if you can get network isolation to work with what’s allowed within the framework of AWS VPCs or the Google networking equivalent – then you may have a chance, if not you’re going to struggle. I would suggest you start with basic zones and see how you get on.

Obviously, I’m happy to be proven wrong on this – if you find a solution then please let the community know.

On a sidenote – a few people in the community now run our Trillian framework – which allows you to run nested CloudStack within CloudStack (all on premise) as long as the top layer hypervisor is VMware – more info on https://github.com/shapeblue/Trillian.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 08/11/2017, 17:29, "Jay Hahn-Steichen" <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Training.
    Sandboxing.
    Experimentation/POC

    And if there is no usecase for it, someone better tell the vendors who
    are supporting it!  Quite a few now -- google is not the first.  AWS
    does it via a third party.  I have used skytap for training
    purposes....  etc...

    --jay hahn-steichen

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com