Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John De Lello <Jo...@DelWare.com> on 2002/03/12 19:02:31 UTC

Deploytool and Tomcat

Can someone explain how to configure Tomcat to be able to use the J2EE
"DeployTool" to deploy? If I start "J2EE -verbose" and then run
"DeployTool" I am able to deploy to the implementation server fine. But
I want to deploy my app to Tomcat.

Thank you,
John

John De Lello
DelWare Software Solutions, LLC
Programming solutions for today's complex problems
http://www.DelWare.com

Re: Deploytool and Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, John De Lello wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:02:31 -0500
> From: John De Lello <Jo...@DelWare.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Deploytool and Tomcat
>
> Can someone explain how to configure Tomcat to be able to use the J2EE
> "DeployTool" to deploy? If I start "J2EE -verbose" and then run
> "DeployTool" I am able to deploy to the implementation server fine. But
> I want to deploy my app to Tomcat.

The J2EE DeployTool is specific to the J2EE RI server, because it uses
proprietary APIs for application deployment.  Therefore, you cannot use it
directly with Tomcat.  However, you might want to watch for a future
announcement of an update to the Java Web Services Developer Pack
<http://java.sun.com/webservices> ...

If you're and Ant user, and haven't been following the most recent nightly
builds of Tomcat 4, you'll also find a nice set of goodies for application
developers -- a set of custom Ant tasks that interact with the Manager
webapp for installing, reloading, and removing webpps dynamically.  Now,
you can integrate these commands directly in to your build.xml files,
which leads to tremendous improvements in turnaround time while
developing.

> Thank you,
> John

Craig McClanahan