Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/28 19:41:45 UTC

NullPointerException: group when creating GCE VM

Hi,

I am new to this group (and new to GCE) and have played around with
brooklyn a few days.
I am currently trying to deploy a simple yaml that uses GCE.
I have specified the following in brooklyn.properties:

brooklyn.location.jclouds.google-compute-engine.identity=<id>
brooklyn.location.jclouds.google-compute-engine.credential=<key>
brooklyn.location.jclouds.google-compute-engine.imageId =
https://www.googleapis.com/compute/v1/projects/centos-cloud/global/images/centos-7-v20150818
brooklyn.location.named.GoogleEU = jclouds:google-compute-engine
brooklyn.location.named.GoogleEU.region=europe-west1-b
brooklyn.location.jclouds.google-compute-engine.networkName=brooklyn-network
brooklyn.location.jclouds.google-compute-engine.installDevUrandom=true
brooklyn.location.jclouds.google-compute-engine.stopIptables=true

But this fails with the below stacktrace.
What am I missing here ?

Failed after 26.5s: java.lang.NullPointerException: group

java.lang.NullPointerException: group
    at
com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:229)
    at
org.jclouds.compute.internal.FormatSharedNamesAndAppendUniqueStringToThoseWhichRepeat.checkGroup(FormatSharedNamesAndAppendUniqueStringToThoseWhichRepeat.java:124)
    at
org.jclouds.compute.internal.FormatSharedNamesAndAppendUniqueStringToThoseWhichRepeat.sharedNameForGroup(FormatSharedNamesAndAppendUniqueStringToThoseWhichRepeat.java:120)
    at
org.jclouds.googlecomputeengine.compute.functions.FirewallTagNamingConvention$Factory.get(FirewallTagNamingConvention.java:39)
    at
org.jclouds.googlecomputeengine.compute.functions.InstanceToNodeMetadata.apply(InstanceToNodeMetadata.java:68)
    at
org.jclouds.googlecomputeengine.compute.functions.InstanceToNodeMetadata.apply(InstanceToNodeMetadata.java:43)
    at
com.google.common.base.Functions$FunctionComposition.apply(Functions.java:216)
    at com.google.common.collect.Iterators$8.transform(Iterators.java:794)
    at
com.google.common.collect.TransformedIterator.next(TransformedIterator.java:48)
    at com.google.common.collect.Iterators$7.computeNext(Iterators.java:646)
    at
com.google.common.collect.AbstractIterator.tryToComputeNext(AbstractIterator.java:143)
    at
com.google.common.collect.AbstractIterator.hasNext(AbstractIterator.java:138)
    at com.google.common.collect.Iterators.indexOf(Iterators.java:771)
    at com.google.common.collect.Iterators.any(Iterators.java:679)
    at com.google.common.collect.Iterables.any(Iterables.java:623)
    at
org.jclouds.compute.strategy.impl.CreateNodesWithGroupEncodedIntoNameThenAddToSet.getNextNames(CreateNodesWithGroupEncodedIntoNameThenAddToSet.java:197)
    at
org.jclouds.compute.strategy.impl.CreateNodesWithGroupEncodedIntoNameThenAddToSet.execute(CreateNodesWithGroupEncodedIntoNameThenAddToSet.java:121)
    at
org.jclouds.googlecomputeengine.compute.strategy.CreateNodesWithGroupEncodedIntoNameThenAddToSet.execute(CreateNodesWithGroupEncodedIntoNameThenAddToSet.java:130)
    at
org.jclouds.compute.internal.BaseComputeService.createNodesInGroup(BaseComputeService.java:210)
    at
brooklyn.location.jclouds.JcloudsLocation.obtainOnce(JcloudsLocation.java:701)
    at
brooklyn.location.jclouds.JcloudsLocation.obtain(JcloudsLocation.java:596)
    at
brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5$1.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:287)
    at
brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5$1.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:285)
    at brooklyn.util.task.Tasks.withBlockingDetails(Tasks.java:99)
    at
brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:285)
    at
brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:275)
    at
brooklyn.util.task.DynamicSequentialTask$DstJob.call(DynamicSequentialTask.java:337)
    at
brooklyn.util.task.BasicExecutionManager$SubmissionCallable.call(BasicExecutionManager.java:469)
    at
    at
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

kind regards,
Harry

Re: NullPointerException: group when creating GCE VM

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

I tried both workarounds and they both work fine for me.
Thanks for the help!

kind regards,
Harry

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Harry

> [...]

>         at
>     brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:285)
>         at
>     brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:275)
>         at
>     brooklyn.util.task.DynamicSequentialTask$DstJob.call(DynamicSequentialTask.java:337)
>         at
>     brooklyn.util.task.BasicExecutionManager$SubmissionCallable.call(BasicExecutionManager.java:469)
>         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
>         at
>     java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
>         at
>     java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

message after it was sent.

Re: NullPointerException: group when creating GCE VM

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Harry

On 28 Aug 2015 18:41, "Harry Metske" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>     at
>
> brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5$1.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:285)
>     at brooklyn.util.task.Tasks.withBlockingDetails(Tasks.java:99)
>     at
>
> brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:285)
>     at
>
> brooklyn.entity.software.MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks$5.call(MachineLifecycleEffectorTasks.java:275)
>     at
>
> brooklyn.util.task.DynamicSequentialTask$DstJob.call(DynamicSequentialTask.java:337)
>     at
>
> brooklyn.util.task.BasicExecutionManager$SubmissionCallable.call(BasicExecutionManager.java:469)
>     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

message after it was sent.