Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/05/10 13:39:57 UTC

[Numbers] First (partial) release

Hi.

The modules in [Numbers] are not all in a releasable state;
even if a lot of work has been put in all of them, some
need even more to be on a par with e.g. the "Complex" class.

It doesn't seem to serve any purpose to further delay the
release as there isn't any activity towards resolving the
issues that concerns the other modules.

Thus, I'd like to release "commons-numbers-complex" (without
"ComplexUtils") and its dependencies, as well as a few other
modules which one would expect can be stable in the long run.
Will some people review the modules and afferent issues to
give an opinion on those they'd think would be ready for prime
time?

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] First (partial) release

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Executive summary (to the best of my knowledge):

Ready (IMHO) for release ("no known issues"):
  * Module "core"
  * Module "angle"
  * Module "arrays"
  * Class "Complex"

Not to be released:
  * Class "ComplexUtils" (outdated API to be replaced by "streams",
    insufficient coverage, ...)
  * Module "field" (no consensus about API and implementations;
    discussion has been pending for months)

Needs work:
  * Class "Fraction", "BigFraction" (make them "ValJO")
  * Class "Quaternion"

To be reviewed (cf. JIRA) for ensuring API stability:
  * Module "gamma"
  * Module "combinatorics"
  * Module "primes"

Volunteers?

I'm OK with releasing with an "experimental" prefix (all packages
under "org.apache.commons.numbers.experimental"); do we agree that
JAR hell is allowed in those (i.e. non need to have "experimental2",
"experimental3" when BC is broken)?

Gilles

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2018 08:22:40 -0600, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> How about releasing as "beta" i.e. 1.0-beta1?
>>

> It would not reflect the real status.
> As noted below, "Complex" is past beta,

Great.

> while some of the
> other codes need review and/or a little work to settle
> known issues.

Sounds like a Beta.

> Furthermore, I recall that no beta release of a Commons
> project ever elicited any feedback.

So what? Getting a jar out on Maven central will give at least the that
opportunity. It's better that realizing that you want some BC breaking
changes _after_ a 1.0 is out.

Gary

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Thu, 10 May 2018 08:22:40 -0600, Gary Gregory wrote:
> How about releasing as "beta" i.e. 1.0-beta1?

It would not reflect the real status.
As noted below, "Complex" is past beta, while some of the

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.