Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2016/02/27 06:25:04 UTC

Re: incubator-mynewt-site git commit: information to download newt tool executable added

Hi,

Just double checking you're only putting up the source releases.

There are a few policy issues around putting up the executables on the incubating site, i.e. before the incubating votes has passed and possible releasing unvoted on artefacts.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: incubator-mynewt-site git commit: information to download newt tool executable added

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Feb 27, 2016, at 3:05 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Sorry- miscommunication here.  We cannot point to runtime binaries in asf documentation, that is a no-no.
>
> You can they just have to be clearly marked as such. Apache likes 3rd parties to use their code and having the documentation pointing to something useful for users is great. The PMC just has to be a little careful not to be seen as not endorsing any particular 3rd party but that’s not an issue here.

+1

Re: incubator-mynewt-site git commit: information to download newt tool executable added

Posted by aditi hilbert <ad...@runtime.io>.
Hi,

I have removed the reference to the binaries from docs for now. i will wait until the IPMC votes have passed before doing anything more about this.

I will do the steps Justin mentioned in the meantime:
* Rename files with something other than “Apache”
* Work on adding all the licenses including Apache license in the binary release
* Work on the language to use in the docs. It will talk about the source files first and then point to the binaries hosted on the 3rd party site. I won’t commit anything before the release is approved.

Thank you, Justin and Sterling, for the explanations.

aditi

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@gmail.com>.
Sorry- miscommunication here.  We cannot point to runtime binaries in asf documentation, that is a no-no.

I believe runtime has full right to provide these binaries on github: LGPL license in dependency has an exception for static linking, in order to allow for just this case.  It's incompatible for ASF - but we're not violating anyone's license.

If it's an issue tho- we're replacing this code soon, so we're fine not hosting it as well.  But I think the only thing necessary is to remove references to these binaries from the ASF site.

Sterling

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by aditi hilbert <ad...@runtime.io>.
Hi Justin,

The executable is put up on runtime github site. Only source releases are on the apache repo.
The user has the choice of downloading the executable or following tutorials to set up the environment and installing newt from source.

Hope that is fine?

thanks,
aditi